1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Reading books purchased from Google Books in other apps?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Colchicine, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

I don't have the time to be an expert in everything.:eek:
    I'm buying books from Google Books (I've been using their services for years for free now, it's the least I could do) but I want to be able to read them in other apps.

The G Books app is rather lacking. I read a lot of technical books and would like to be able to highlight a word to look it up, for example.

I understand the G Books is in the e-pub format, but since the books are cloud stored, I don't see a way of getting another app, like Nook or Aldiko, to be able to read it.
    Solution?

Advertisement

2. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Student
    Houston, TX
    None that I've come across :-(

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Analog hole is the only way, I think (that is, take screenshots and run them through an OCR process). You paid money for a book and they didn't even let you have a copy? :eek: Sounds like quite a racket.

(Edited to add: That's assuming there is no way to download them at all - have you looked into trying it on the desktop? I know some Google books are supposed to be downloadable and some aren't. I'm not familiar with the Android app though - does it just keep them all in the cloud regardless? If there's no way at all to download, I think running it through the analog hole is the only solution, and that's more trouble than it's worth.)

4. ambientdroid

ambientdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Japan
    So you can't use books you've purchase from google with something like Moon+ Reader?

5. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    You can if you can download them. Colchicine's book is evidently one of the online-only ones.

6. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

Ok, so I did a bit more digging, this time looking at my books through my computer. I was able to find a help section that describes how to transfer a book to other devices.

Read - Books Help

Although you can transfer an eBook to a Nook, it doesn't seem possible to transfer it to the Nook APP. It appears if you are reading an eBook through Google on your Android phone, you can only read it through their app. :(

7. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Aha, I see that the link you provided says that the books can be downloaded to any device that supports Adobe Digital Editions. So the file will be an DRM'd .epub that has been encrypted with ADE. Apps such as Moon+ and CoolReader would need an unencrypted .epub file. Google is your friend when it comes to removing DRM. So is "Apprentice Alf". :)

If you don't want to go that route, I've seen that the most recent version of Aldiko is said to support ADE DRM.