• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reading Books

RhinoDoc

Oct 8, 2009
I haven't seen a lot of commenting on book reading on the Xoom. I have owned 3 Sony Readers over the past 5 years or so and love electronic book reading. I turned 2 of my brothers onto Readers and they have each been through 2 Readers of their own. Both of them have bought iPads and have completely converted over to reading on them. I love me some Android, but if I get a tablet I imagine reading books will be a big part of the usage for me. How easy is it to read books? Is it comfortable to hold? Is it too heavy? Is the page turning smooth? Easy to load books onto it?

I've read 4 or 5 books so far, and it's very enjoyable. I forget I'm reading on a tablet.

Note - I read in portrait mode, not landscape. Weight isn't an issue. My favorite part about it so far is I can read (Kindle app) for a while on the Xoom, and later if I'm out and about and have some down time I can pull out my android phone and my 'place' hasn't been lost. In Amazon's Kindle app I had to play with font size & margins a bit- the default was far too small text, and too small margins. Also you can play with brightness so it's not so eye-searing-white. For non-Kindle, I've been using Aldiko, fed by Calibre on my desktop (which does a very good job of converting pdfs to epubs). Google's native Books application is also nice, but so far I've only read part of one public domain title in it.

Oh - should add: It's dead easy to add books. Just plug it into your computer, open a directory (I made one just called Books), copy files into the folder, then open Aldiko, hit the button marked SD Card, "Select All", Import.

Only caveat- I notice you mention you're used to the Sony Reader. Unlike the Sony, the Xoom is pretty much illegible in bright sunlight.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I have a Nook (NOT a NookColor) that, like the Sony Reader, is an actual e-Ink reader. That's what I use for most of my reading. I do read in both the Kindle and Nook apps on the Xoom for casual reading, and it's fine. But reading on something that is backlit isn't ideal if you read for long periods of time.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's the backlight that kills me. Now, I *do* read on my Xoom sometimes. The Nook synchronizes the currently read page between your devices, so if I'm going out somewher I'll just bring my Xoom and not the Nook too. But if I'm sitting down at home to read a novel for a while, it has to be on the Nook. Magazines are great on the Xoom, though.

Upvote 0
I have not read a complete book on it but like zardoz I have read part of books and switch almost effortlessly between Xoom Kindle2, Sony and DroidX as the need arises. I use the Kindle app, and Aldiko mostly.

The Xoom is the first portable device that is actually usable for reading PDFs which many of the technical books and magazines are that I read.

I love it!

Oh and the updated Google Books app is wonderful!

Nook app works great too!

Upvote 0
Thanks, I am a voracious reader and I read very fast, so I literally can't afford to buy all the books I read. I just didn't want to tie the money up in a dedicated eReader when I could get a tablet/phone with reading apps. I would rather spend that money on books. My wonderful public library, Tulsa City County Library, just added ebooks to their lending selections and the Kindle is specifically excluded. They have a nice mobile app that I use on my Evo for requesting books and renewing them. If you live in the Tulsa, OK area and you don't have a library card, shame on you for missing out on great services.

Question to the forum, has anyone tried using a lap desk to support their tablet while reading? That is my plan. I will post tomorrow about how that works out for me.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I am a voracious reader and I read very fast, so I literally can't afford to buy all the books I read. I just didn't want to tie the money up in a dedicated eReader when I could get a tablet/phone with reading apps. I would rather spend that money on books. My wonderful public library, Tulsa City County Library, just added ebooks to their lending selections and the Kindle is specifically excluded. They have a nice mobile app that I use on my Evo for requesting books and renewing them. If you live in the Tulsa, OK area and you don't have a library card, shame on you for missing out on great services.

Question to the forum, has anyone tried using a lap desk to support their tablet while reading? That is my plan. I will post tomorrow about how that works out for me.

I've not used it that way, but should work fine. I check tons of books out from the Denver Public Library -- both Adobe DRM (compatible with Sony Readers) and Mobi (compatible with kindle but only after some liberation).

Go Libraries!

Upvote 0
Yeah, the Boston public library lends eBooks too, it's awesome. You don't even need to be just in Boston, which is cool, just in the area, or maybe even just in MA. It's only the Kindle is excluded though, because the books are ePub format. I can read library books through the Nook app on my Xoom or Droid2, or on my actual Nook.

Edited after kennychaffic's post: you can read the Adobe DRM files on the Nook as well.

Upvote 0
I am tip-toeing into reading on my new Xoom. I have read one book on the included reader and it went fairly well, I am now well into a book on the Kindle reader app. So far I am enjoying it, although it is heavier than my Sony Reader, but in most positions I can rest it on a table or my belly, so weight doesn't seem to be an issue. Reading in poor lighting is better (no need for a booklight), outside reading with glare hasn't been an issue yet, but in some rooms in the house I get some glare, but just angling the screen seems to solve that most times.

I worried about my eyes getting tired reading the backlit screen (I have come to really enjoy the eInk screen on the Reader) but so far it hasn't been an issue.

My local library has the ebook option, but their selection is pretty limited - I couldn't find anything I wanted to read when I looked at it recently

Upvote 0
I've gotten totally fed up with Aldiko crashing (FC) almost every other time I open it or open a book. It's going on hold until they get it fixed. FBReader, Nook, Kindle, will be used.

Not sure why you are having FC's using Aldiko. I have been using it daily (I read every evening laying in bed before falling asleep) and it has been working flawlessly. I also enjoy the "Night" mode (black background/white text). It seems to be a lot easier on my old eyes. I leave in it "Night" mode even during the day (when I can sneak some spare time to read).:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones