• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reading from web site's dynamic text & drop-down lists

thePITman

Lurker
May 8, 2011
Background: I am planning to build an Android app around the following web page: Browse Scores. The web site contacts media outlets, receives their box score template, and creates custom programming for each media outlet's template. Then high school coaches log in, enter score & stats for a game, and send out the game report to their specified list of media outlets. The web site formats the box score and delivers customized versions to match each individual media outlet's template. It is a very neat concept and a quickly growing company in Northeast Ohio. The owner asked me to develop an app for the Browse Scores page, and I'm sure I'll be asked to create more in the future for coaches and statisticians to log in and actually use the web site.

Test scenario from ScoreFeeder's Browse Scores page:
- State: Ohio
- School: Woodridge High School Men's Baseball Spring 2011

Requirements: The app needs to have the same functionality as the Browse Scores page:

1. Select from State drop-down menu
2. Select from Team drop-down menu (dynamic, based on State menu selection)
3. Click Produce Team Feed button
4. Display results of team feed

My preferred, best-case app would have the following features, or as close as possible:

1. Drop-down lists have same content as web page's drop-down lists
- A new screen for each list, similar to http://m.crisco.com/Product.aspx
- Second list is dynamically generated, based on first list's selection
2. Producing Team Feed generates list of reported games
- Each reported game is separate list item
- A list item's name would be the 3rd line of the full report (score)
- Clicking on a list item would bring up the full report for that game
3. Keep history
- Keep track of a Favorite Team, which the user picks
- Have a shortcut to Favorite Team's score feed
- Keep track of user's searching history

Request: Please respond with any of the following which would help me move forward:

1. Is this Android app possible without direct database access?
2. What is the best approach for development?
3. What other tips or advice could you give me to help move forward?

Thank you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones