1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Reading text files (eBooks) on Eris?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by notaguru, Jul 10, 2010.

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    Installed on Eris (2.1): Laputa, Aldiko, Tulip, Wordplayer
    On laptop: Mobipocket, Caliber, MSWord

There's a vast amount of material in MSWord format that I wish to read on my Eris. I can save a file as .txt and put it on my SD card using Astro, etc., but Quickoffice and Tulip are the only readers able to read those files - and both are otherwise inadequate.

I've never passed the Caliber IQ test. It seems to convert to epub, but none of those readers ever see the result.

Where can I find the help I need?

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    For your Word docs, open them in Word then save them as a .rtf file - Calibre can't convert a .doc file, but it can a .rtf. Once you've converted them to epub files move the epub to sdcode/ebooks/import. After that open Aldiko and select 'import' books from it's menu function. Aldiko ONLY imports from the ebooks/import directory (it tells you that on screen) which may be where you're having the problem. I use that method quite frequently with good results.

3. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Also, you can download the pc version of stanza, open the file with stanza, then choose export as and then pick whatever format you want. I find that does a better job at converting than calibre does, but maybe thats because i convert PDF files to epubs. Try it out, its free.