• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reading with firefox an htm file in memory

regressist

Nov 16, 2021
Hi all,
this is always a pain in the neck. Bought new phone, Android 11, I need to read a file, named file.htm, in memory with firefox (or other browsers). This should be my home. I authorize FF to read memory (unfortunately there is only the checkbox for multimedia files, I do not know if this is an issue), and in the address I type

file:///storage/emulated/0/file.htm

No way, no message, just white page. Also with previous phones the first time I did this was a problem, but this time seems really hard.
Tried also to launch the file from the file manager but it does not propose me FF even if it is the default browser, just some crap like pictures and similar app.

Thanks in advance to whomever will reply

Question.
Why do you need this file?
As in, why can you not open the browser and then get to your homepage, like any other site?

Is this file a webpage with your personal settings?
(That is what mine is.)

If so, then I would go to that manually, reset my settings, and then look for the bookmark saving information.

For DuckDuckGo (the site, not the app) it is at the very bottom of the settings area and looks like this:

Screenshot_20220115-081242.png

You can select the bookmark information and copy/paste it from there.

StartPage has a similar thing.

I am not familiar with other search engines methods for this.

Upvote 0
Question.
Why do you need this file?
As in, why can you not open the browser and then get to your homepage, like any other site?

Is this file a webpage with your personal settings?
(That is what mine is.)

If so, then I would go to that manually, reset my settings, and then look for the bookmark saving information.

For DuckDuckGo (the site, not the app) it is at the very bottom of the settings area and looks like this:

View attachment 160914

You can select the bookmark information and copy/paste it from there.

StartPage has a similar thing.

I am not familiar with other search engines methods for this.

This page is simply a sequence of addresses, actually this is my own home page in any browser. Or the file bookmarks.html taken from the PC.
Simple and portable without cloud shit

Upvote 0
Ok, then why not get it as a different format to avoid this trouble?

You can see the example above.

What search engine are you using?
Go to the settings, set it up, and then copy/paste the bookmark settings as your homepage in the browser.

I do this on various browsers, both for my homepage and for other sites themselves- especially if I don't like a particular app or want a browser dedicated to a single site.

That is how I have it for this site.
I wind up with a nice, dark theme, no ads, and a set of bookmarks just for the purpose- not to mention all my favorite browser settings.

Upvote 0
file:///storage/emulated/0/file.htm

No way, no message, just white page.
From what I see online Firefox removed the ability to access files via "file:///..." a while ago.

Don't know if this will work, but you could email the HTML file to yourself then download it in Firefox. Then it will show up in the Downloads list in Firefox. Maybe that will let you open it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones