1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ready? Fight! Verizon iPhone Now On Sale

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Feb 10, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot

Talk all the trash you want about the iPhone… I won’t deny it’s an iconic device that helped changed the game. Talk all the trash you want about iFanboys… at the end of the day we’re all just tech lovers with different preferences. And say what you want about Apple vs. Android, tossing around stats, [...]

More...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Lines at the stores here in town, all of them. And they opened at 7am.

I'll wait a week or so (no, I'm not replacing my Fascinate; adding a line ;)).

3. dajogejr

dajogejr Member

I've got the best of both worlds.
    Going to get my G/F the i4, getting the Tbolt for myself when it comes out.

Between the two, if one can't do something, chances are the other can or it can't be done period.

I have nothing bad to say about the iPhone itself...some if it's users and fan boys on the other hand....

Then again, there are plenty of hard headed, die hard android and blackberry folks out there too.

jroc likes this.
  4. storm14k

storm14k Member

Well there seem to be reports that lines are short if there are any at all. I'm sure the thing will sell well but I will not be able to help but LMAO if I was right and the so called pent up demand is much smaller than some have made it out to be. I've always felt the thing is going to sell like pretty much the rest of the smartphones on Verizon. Thats not bad or anything but it will be a serious blow to the egos of Jobs and most iFools.

5. Frisco

Still out the doors in the four Verizon outlets here (a town of about 300,000).

I called a friend in a city 50 miles from here and she told me that the Verizon store where she's waiting for service was "busy as usual, but not a crowd or anything."

That's in a city of over a million, many more Verizon stores.

6. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

By year end I expect the iPhone to be the most popular smartphone on Verizon

7. Frisco

Perhaps over any one Android device, but not over Android devices overall.

8. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert

No lines in my neck of the woods.
    I drive past 2 stores on my way to work and neither had lines.

9. Frisco

Mind if I ask how big a city you're in? How many Verizon stores there?

10. LoyalServant

Columbia, SC
    There are (I think) at least 5 or 6 Verizon stores in the metro area.
    (If you can call Columbia 'metro' - I am from NYC originally. :D)

11. brownhornet

brownhornet Android Enthusiast

Its not even going to take that long.

12. Insanecrane

Insanecrane Android Enthusiast

Well I know of one of my friends that is getting an iCrap. When I asked her mhy she said she just wants twitter and facebook on her phone(she doesn't have a smartphone at the moment). I told her Android could do that and it did get her thinking but she will probably go with the iCrap anyway.

As far as a mass exodus away from Android devices, I just don't see it happening and imo the "lines" are nothimg more than typical iHype.

13. rixa001

rixa001 Newbie

I'm not really surprised of the 'turn out.' Don't get me wrong: its still a cool device that is now on Verizon. But I'll bet the demand & hype will be different when the next gen iPhone comes out this summer.

14. Frisco

15. wfstroud3

wfstroud3 Lurker

The iPhone is a great phone. However, I love my Droid Inc. and have no plan to switch any time soon. The thing Apple has going for it is that they always release things first (public perception). There is an opportunity here for the android phones, get the damn 4G phones to market ASAP!

16. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why anyone would spend $70+/mo and sign a 2 year contract and pay $199 for the iphone, when there are good Android phones like the LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile that costs $25/mo for unlimited data/text + 300 minutes talk. Phone costs $150 with no contract requirement.

17. Bnice

Bnice Guest

It amaze me how many just can't believe that there are many that are just not interested in the iPhone.

jroc likes this.
  18. sarstube

sarstube Member

no lines here in memphis, but then again the streets are covered in ice and it's 20 outside ;)

but i would say "stand-in-liners" = "early adapters"

"early adapters" are generally more tech savy, and would know to wait for ip5, but i still think in the next month verizon will sell quite a few iphones.

19. LoyalServant

It's last years model and a lot of iFans already have one.
    In order for a lot of them to get the Verizon model they have to pay an ETF.
    Would you pay an ETF to get the same model phone when the new one is due here in 3 or so months time?

jroc likes this.
  20. brownhornet

You wont see the real huge numbers until the iphone 5 drops. THEN itll be obvious as to why any carrier should love to have the iphone. But the fact that they sold 500K pre-orders on a phone thats been out since June of last year in just 2 hours is still crazy.

21. brownhornet

The same reason I HAVE an Android phone and wouldnt even consider it.

22. Bish0p34

Bish0p34 Newbie

Coming to a Samsung Captivate from an iPhone 4, I'd have to say it's a great toy, not a great phone. That's why I have an Android phone now. The iPhone has TERRIBLE reception (despite what the fanboy's say, my bass player's 3g ALWAYS had better signal), and was difficult to type correctly on. I miss some of the things about it (battery, camera is the best, voice dialing and commands, etc...), but I'll never say it was a good phone. It's a glorified iPod touch that may make a call sometimes.

And to all the people that say it's AT&T, not Apple...my Blackberries never dropped that many calls...even my unlocked Storm.

Just my two cents after using the 3 bigger platforms for years.

jroc likes this.
  23. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

The fact that the iPhone4 is already outdated, and owned by many on AT&T will prevent a tidal wave of new iPhone owners on Verizon.

However, iPhone5 with or without LTE will absolutely deal a massive blow to Android adoption.

iPhone5 on Sprint, and T-Mobile will most likely regulate the bulk of android buyers to budget phones, while 90% of top tier phone buyers go with iPhone.

24. dajogejr

dajogejr Member

The iPhone on VZW will be the #1 smart phone by the end of this year.
    Some people are holding off because they just locked into an ATT contract with the 4, some people are going to wait until the 5 is announced possibly on LTE.

By Q3 of this year it will be the number 1 phone.
    Sucks, but there are more blind sheep in the herd than sheep overall...

This is the typical thinking of the iPhone user: (Quoted from that article)

"It's an iPhone. There's so much hype about it," she said. "You just have to get it."

25. jroc

jroc Android Expert

^Thats funny...lol I wouldnt say the typical thinking of an iPhone user...but like you said of a blind fan.

I could be wrong....

Something else from the article thats funny:

Ok....if you want the iPhone on Verizon, thats fine. But dont to rationale it by making up lies....

There are other smart phones on Verizon thats cheaper than the iPhone right now...has been for months.

Why is it that articles like this find folks like these last 2 posts?