• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ready to root: how to add new roms? (droid mod)

MarcMaiden

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
Bay Area, ca
Hey guy,

I decided its time for me to root, ive enjoyed stock droid for a while, but now i want more!

I understand how to root, that isnt the issue,

Im not sure how to install custom roms. I really want to use Droidmod 1.0

I dled it, it comes as a .tgz file. How do i go about installing it?

any links would be appreciated, thanks!

Everything... including all the rooter apps.

First app to install: setcpu - lets you make that droid do more than the 550 stock clock speed.

wifi tether: Gotta have if your always in a place you need access to the internet on a computer or other internet device. No wires needed ;).

Temp Monitor: Lets keep an eye on your battery and CPU temps.

Have some fun... and dont forget to check out some of the great other roms out there... do some reading in this section of the forum.

Reactions: MarcMaiden
Upvote 0
If you've rooted successfully and have flashed DroidMod then you can use any app that requires root access. When the app prompts for root access be sure to click the box for always allow. A bit of advice, go to rootyourdroid.info and do some reading, especially on how Nandroid backup and SPRrecovery works. Also, make sure you read the sections on how to get your phone back to stock with no root in case you ever need to return it for a warranty repair. The DMupdater app has an option that allows you to return to stock with no root fairly easily but it's dependent on the DroidMod folks being in business so you should be familiar with how to do it without relying on them. Finally, be sure to pick up SetCPU from the market which allows you to overclock the processor for better performance. Just be sure to set up the profiles so that the phone doesn't run at top clock speed when it sleeps, charges or when the battery temp exceeds about 40 degrees Celsius. There are threads here on what everyone thinks the best balance is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones