• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ready to Root

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
In preparation for rooting my Evo 4G I did a lot of reading up on the procedure to root as well as partition my new sd card. I also made my own instructions by doing some cutting & pasting from the various guides found here. TY to ocnbrze, Capt Throwback, Stevcha, Rxpert, and anyone else who had a part in building these very helpful guides.

I'm going to post my instructions here in hopes that any of you who look them over and find issues can point them out to me. TY in advance to any of you who do. :)

You will need to download these files:

• adb.exe
  • fastboot.exe
  • AdbWinApi.dll
  • HTC Sync 3.0.5551
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
Make sure that you have htc sync installed and that you have the latest java running.

Step 1: HTCdev bootloader unlocker

1. Go to the htc website:HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader
2.at the very far right there should be a drop down menu. Scroll all the way down to the bottom until you see "All Other Supported Models". Do not select the evo 4g(korean). that is an entirely different phone.
3. Just follow the steps and use the files that you downloaded earlier when asked.
4. You will then get an email and follow directions according to the email.
5. Congrats!!!!!!!! You have now just unlocked your bootloader
clip_image001.gif

Here is a step by step as stated on the htcdev.com site.

1. Remove and insert the battery
2. Press and hold power+vol down
3. With the vol buttons highlight fastboot and select it with your power button.
4. Connect the device to the computer via usb cable
5. Create a new folder and call it android
6. Navigate to the android sdk r-12 folder and run the sdk manager.exe file
7. Wait 3 minutes and then only update android sdk platform toolsand android sdk tools
8. Go to the android sdk platform tools folder and copy adb.exe and AdbWinApi.dll and paste it into the android folder you created earlier.
9. Go to the android sdk tools folder and copy fastboot.exe and paste it also to the android folder as well.
10. Right click on your android folder while holding shift and select open command window here (3rd or 4th option).
11. In the command window type:
Code:
[FONT=&quot]fastboot oem get_identifier_token[/FONT]

13. You will need to copy the long block of text that is displayed
Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy
14. The first line you should highlight should be:
<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
and end with:
<<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>
15. Paste the text into the token field and then hit submit.
16. You will then get an email with the unlock key and commands to finish the process.

Step 2: How to get Recovery

How to install amon ra2.3 with android flasher.

1. Download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader
2. Extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.
3. Next you will need to download amon ra 2.3from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
4. Extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.
5. Run android flasher
6. Go to the recovery slot and select browse and then navigate to the amon ra .img file
7. Select it and then select recovery
8. Then at the very bottom select flash

congrats!!!!!! you now have amon ra 2.3 installed.

Step 3: Partition SD Card

1. Copy your content of the card to a computer because partitioning will wipe the card's content.
2. Go into recovery and select partition your sd card
3. Enter 32 for swap, and 1024 or 2048 for ext2, and do the rest for FAT
4. Select upgrade ext2 to ext3
6. Select usb-ms toggle and transfer your contents of your card on your computer back to the card.
5. Go to the main menu and do a full wipe (min data, dalvik cache and cache)
6. Flash the superwipe
7. Flash the rom of your choice.
8. Reboot

from now on it is recommended you wipe dalvik cache, cache, data and sd ext.before flashing roms. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT SELECT WIPE SD CARD as it will do just that. your card will be erased. also make sure that when making a nandroid backup to select sd ext to be backed up as well.

Step 4: Flash a rom

1. First you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8709935/ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2. Download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3. Go into recovery
4. Make a nandroid backup
5. Select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6. Select flash zip from sdcard
7. Find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8. Find your rom and select it.
9. Reboot.

First boot will take a bit longer then normal, so be patient.

For what it's worth I'm doing this for 2 reasons.

#1 I like me Evo 4G for the most part but have been increasingly frustrated by the internal memory(or lack there of!) issue.

#2 I would like to be able to have greater control of my phone(and future phones for that matter) so as to be able to use it in ways I simply can not in it's un-rooted state.

#3 I'm hoping to push off getting the LTEvo until it's been out at least 4-6 months and is bug free. Or as close to being bug free as possible.

there are a couple extraneous steps in this, but overall its a good summation of what one needs to do in order to get full root and how to flash a rom. You did forget the how to on how to flash a kernel btw :p (just givin ya crap) oh, and the recovery update process you suggest is kinda weird... you just need the amon_ra file on the root of your sd card renamed as PC36IMG.zip and reboot into fastboot and when it asks you if you wanna run the update, select yes. I think that the steps in your guide could be simplified a lil bit is all im sayin :)

Upvote 0
there are a couple extraneous steps in this, but overall its a good summation of what one needs to do in order to get full root and how to flash a rom. You did forget the how to on how to flash a kernel btw :p (just givin ya crap) oh, and the recovery update process you suggest is kinda weird... you just need the amon_ra file on the root of your sd card renamed as PC36IMG.zip and reboot into fastboot and when it asks you if you wanna run the update, select yes. I think that the steps in your guide could be simplified a lil bit is all im sayin :)

I just copied those directions over from ocnbrze's "[Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide" as is. If your suggestion is the better way to go then I'll go with that.

Upvote 0

The more simplified the directions the less likely it is to screw them up! Or so one would hope. ;)

Upvote 0

unfortunately the old way of using the PC36IMG file will not apply to unlocked evo's. so the one's that are in the guide will work with unlocked evo's. however, thanx to captain throwback, there is a PC36IMG file that will work with unlocked evo's. i have just added it to the guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones