• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real App Startup Control!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that, I have been killing the Google Partner Setup and have been having issues, I'll try not killing it and see if things improve.

Absolutely, you should see all sorts of wonderfulness return.

And, FWIW, the MP3 Store launching doesn't correlate to the Market launching.

It correlates to not rooting my phone and just ash-canning it!

Upvote 0
Hmm, i was going to try this but the reviews in the market are 2-1 bad. Many people reporting that it does nothing to stop the apps they selected.

I went through that after starting this thread - had to reboot my phone twice, removing ATK along the way, and then it seemed to work.

Now using just Startup Cleaner 2.0 and Advanced Task Cleaner Pro.

Thought I would root this weekend but then stuff happened.

Upvote 0
OK. I've expressed my view here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/101548-apps-loading-automatically-how-stop.html#post943009

This is so important, I wanted to start a new thread to get attention, with no disrespect intended to the many others posing the question:

How do I get rid of startup apps I just don't want on my Evo?

1. I've taken the time to read at length, and understand, the many good threads explaining why using things like APK is a bad idea for Android - and to just let Android do its job.

I'm ok with that.

2. Coming from a _very experienced_ unix background, I still believe that I own this phone and I should be able to control (some) things.

I don't do social networking. I will never care about NASCAR or the NFL - my primary use is for work. I don't want to root my phone and uninstall apks from Sprint. I want Sprint TV - I've been in airports when breaking news hit and I couldn't hear the public TVs, for example.

Girls and boys, I think I've found the answer:

Startup Cleaner 2.0 by Bright Wallace

He also makes Startup Cleaner - I tested both, you want 2.0 for your Evo.

He also makes Advanced Task Cleaner Pro - that you can run in Background mode to do kills at startup.

I'm using Startup Cleaner 2.0 - AND IT WORKS.

It just won't assassinate that Amazon MP3 Store.

For that, I launch APK - have turned off autostart of APK, btw - and I kill the Amazon MP3 Store - and APK at the same time.

Now - arguments abound about CPU time, the Android scheduler, and the battery.

I've used EVERY battery trick in this forum, believe me.

BUT - using SystemPanelLite Task Manager by NextApp, Inc. I've been monitoring things.

Before Startup Cleaner 2.0 - my free memory was below 20%, with all of the app killing and so forth.

With Startup Cleaner 2.0 - my free memory at startup is 48%, and drops to just over 40% with the browser and email launched, and a few other apps launched and quit, imitating my normal usage.

The Android developers have done a FANTASTIC job doing task management and I've come to agree - don't run task killers in the background, let Android do its job.

But - I say give Android a chance to do its job - remove the cruft you don't need or want, like Sprint goodies, and who knows? Maybe you'll see an improvement, too.

Use the Startup Cleaner 2.0 _judiciously_ -- if you're unsure of an app, leave it alone. It gives you dangerous powers. Only remove those high-level apps you're sure of.

Bye bye, resource hogs - bye bye, memory hogs, bye bye any uncertainty as to whether the Sprint apps waste your battery or Android is perfect at controlling that.

I sure hope others find this suggestion useful.

PS - BEFORE, on reboot, my wallpaper selection was always lost. Now it's not.

dude, i know the amazon mp3 app thing that you're referring to, but this NEVER starts up on my phone. i've never used it either. with a clean boot up, all i kill off are fring, gtalk, and a sprintupdate service. everything else that's running needs to be running in order for the phone to operate.

gonna check out these start up killers though so i don't have to kill gtalk and all that crap anymore.

edit: startup auditor is actually $.99
edit: nope i finally found it for free using appbrain app. perfecto

Upvote 0
dude, i know the amazon mp3 app thing that you're referring to, but this NEVER starts up on my phone. i've never used it either. with a clean boot up, all i kill off are fring, gtalk, and a sprintupdate service. everything else that's running needs to be running in order for the phone to operate.

gonna check out these start up killers though so i don't have to kill gtalk and all that crap anymore.

edit: startup auditor is actually $.99

GTalk you can supposedly silence right off the bat. See:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/102030-uninstalling-gtalkservice-apk.html#post947038

Upvote 0
so with this startup cleaner app, is this something that will only work when the phone is turned off and back on? or will it kill it period until i tell it to do otherwise?...i rarely turn my phone off which is why i'd like to know

It's sister app is Automatic Task Cleaner Pro. You can set that up to launch at startup, have a list of apps you want suppressed (just like Startup Cleaner 2.0), but you can set the list to disable apps either on a timer or whenever your phone goes to sleep (that's the option I use).

Upvote 0
So call me slow, but I really can't figure this out Earlymon.

When you go into Startup Cleaner 2.0 and it lists your apps, every one has subtext "prevent startup: applied/unapplied."

Now, for some odd reason I can't tell which one is cleaning the app at startup. Logic obviously says "prevent startup: applied" means SC2.0 will kill that app at boot, but I'm seeing that no matter what way I check an app they all still seem to start how they want. Kind of annoying when I boot my phone and Lockbot Pro doesn't load, and then I go to send a text and swype is killed, etc. I know you feel my pain man, just trying to get only whats necessary and what I want to load at boot.

Am I missing something here, or...?

~Cheers :cool:

Upvote 0
ok, I got it, did the selection process. Restarted phone, and guess what, most of the ones I selected still start up.

Also, there is no way to prevent my installed apps from loading, for example LED light, it loads now, and did not before. then I accidentally delelted it as I selected it in the Startup program, and it was a delete app mode.

Too complicated for me, and not worth the hassle. Touche

Upvote 0
Pretty odd guys - I'm at 1.47.whatever - and after startup, it jumps the notification bar and says that it's killed a few apps.

Maybe try Startup Auditor and see if you get better results? See vesperaNovus' comment above, in this thread (author).

Everyone's mileage does vary - keep me posted if that doesn't work and I'll check around for what other options or settings I might have forgotten - or ask vesperaNovus in whatever fashion's appropriate (OK by me to use this thread, I'm sure we're all interested).

PS - I got Startup Cleaner 2.0 from the Market - could be some temporary Market glitch.

Upvote 0
I get the same notifications on boot there EarlyMon, and I'm all like "Sweet, it worked." Then everything is running again. I have a feeling it has to do with the apps themselves and not SC2.0. I'm not giving up on such a great application, so. Hopefully I/We can get it all figured out.

Well - I was using Startup Cleaner 2.0 in conjunction with Automatic Task Cleaner Pro (same author).

Crapware does have a way of re-starting itself.

I rooted and removed the Sprint junk. I'm concerned about stability, but when I'm completely confident, I'll remove the social warez, too.

Meanwhile, I cover my back with the combo - because I can't figure out what makes them re-start in the first place - other than: that's just how they're designed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones