• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Inventor REAL GPS to one app, FAKE GPS to another?

MarkBowler

Lurker
Feb 7, 2019
(Target Android 7 Upward)
Thanks of anyone knows if this is possible...
is it possible for one app to obtain the real GPS location of a device while serving as a mock location provider for the rest of the system and passing on modified co-ordinates?

Obviously a mock location app is easy to find, but one that also gains the real location internally is hard.

Background: i work for a company that uses GPS for efficient routing of workers based on location. Due to privacy and spot audit abuse by management, contractors are turning their location off. It hinders route efficiency. I'd like to develop a basic app that allows workers to use GPS tools accurately within the app, while allowing them to reduce accuracy reported upstream to the rest of the os (and monitoring apps), while maintaining the overall efficiency of the routing function the company uses). I.e. The system can still give them an efficient nearby job if the gps accuracy is within 500m and they can stop being paranoid and spied on. Win Win for everyone.

Any help with if this is possible would be really awesome.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones