1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Real talk: I'm going to return my Evo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mercdizzle, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jpasint

jpasint Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Serious? You can't be!

Joe

Advertisement

2. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    sales
    Texas
    Ok, I understand the need to have a battery last. I do not have access to charging during chunks of my day and it is very inconvienent in some job situations. So his argument there is well justified. Like I mentioned earlier, give it a little more time. My Hero changed a lot after a couple weeks????

Some people have mentioned here you need to do several cycles of charging before the battery will work at its best. If you do return the phone ask them if you can keep your current battery also so you can compare the new with the old.

I know you dont want to carry an extra battery around and all that. But do you really want to pay more money every month? I know a lot of people are willing to bite the bullet and pay more for AT&T, and the iPhones are great too, just not worth about 30-50 per month extra depending on plans and data usage. I hate AT&T enough for the total lack of ability to get anything right with me when I have had them for other stuff, to justify giving them $360-$600 per month more per year for a phone.

THe iPhone is not even remotely an option for me due to hating AT&T, so just as I would not consider it, you have every right to not want the Evo. To each his own.

3. Dession

Dession Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe I had a bad battery, but it would barely last the work day unless I left it sitting there. It had a great idle battery life though, lol.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Houston
    I can say that over the last few days, the battery is getting better. Likely that I am getting better using the phone too. But a few discharge / recharg cycles do seem to improve the battery life. It does far better than the Treo Pro it replaced.

Now on the 4G thing. I am in Houston, a 4G city and am all over town. I have attempted to use 4G about 10 times now. Only twice have I seen the 4G icon on the top bar come up and then only with one bar. I was in a full signal area IE 5 bars radio strength. Both times I got a 4G sigal I attempted to do a video stream from sprint tv or tv.com.......wait.......wait.....nothing. Go back to the home screen and the phone is back to 3G. I will download the vid at the slower 3G speed but the phone has not ONCE moved any data across the 4G network. I'll give it a few days but am headed back to the Sprint store and have them show me ANY 4G connectivity or order me a new phone. It should work in midtown or Westchase Houston. Reception at my home is no better than the Treo...IE lousy.

Love the phone, but so far the data is its achillies heel and fairs no better than the 3G phones. So why am I being asked to pay for 'premium data'? Sure not getting it.

5. ragebot

ragebot Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    inner solar system
    I agree, I have a lighter/USB adapter in the car and outlets at home. I have never had a problem with the battery. Maybe I am too anal, but I charge mine every chance I get just to make sure.

As to the OP if your Evo has a 2 hr battery life something is wrong, you should contact Sprint for a return or replacement. There have been a few reports of defective Evos with very short battery life, but 2 hrs means a problem.

6. jnitz23

jnitz23 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Danbury, CT
    It doesnt do that?? Shit, mine's going back too now.....:D:D:D

7. zerozed

zerozed Newbie
    None

May 26, 2010
    You guys flaming the original poster are just pathetic. Get an f'ing life and quit being a fanboy. There are crap-tons of complaints from Evo owners about the horrible battery life. Attacking somebody who is upset about it is pretty juvenile.

If you're not having a problem with your hardware well good for you. But a LOT of us are. That means that either HTC has a serious quality control problem, or the phones aren't configured optimally. Its a pretty serious problem for those of us who have trying to rely on a phone that can only be used for a couple of hours before running out of juice.

It would be helpful if HTC or Sprint would spell out what "optimum" settings would be for battery life (if such a thing exists). Or better yet, if they roll out Froyo on the Evo immediately to help alleviate the problems.

8. rdegk15

rdegk15 Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am here in san antonio. I dont get very good 4g signal inside my house but it is still wayy faster than 3g. When i get on the street i was getting 2-3 bars of 4g.

As far as my battery life, i have had it unplugged since midnight or so. Couple texts, few phone calls, minor web usage, 10 emails, download a couple apps. 73% battery left.

9. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicago, USA
    Incorrect. The wifi signal strength and actual throughput are just fine. The WiFi indicator always shows 1 bar in my house, even if I am next to AP. If anything there is a problem with strength indicator.

Run SpeedTest to determine how good your WiFi signal is, don't trust the bar count.

10. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Bye. Guys, he is not happy with the phone. Ok, so let him return it. He wants to go back to the iphone, ok let him go. The phone is not for everyone. It is like a muscle car. You can go really fast and drive really aggressive, and get horrible battery life Or you can drive reasonably and get average battery life. He wants the iphone back, which is like ford focus of phones. Kind of just sits there. Gets good gas mileage, kind of limiting, do not go very fast, but it goes. Not everyone will enjoy the pure power of the phone. Some will go back to there subcompacts and have fun. Goodbye.

twospirits, ocnbrze, kmbutts and 2 others like this.
  11. Orion

Orion Android Expert
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Ninja
    New York
    I understand where the thread starter is coming from. I too am becoming frustrated with the battery life. But Im not returning this. This phone is too awesome. I'm sure there's a solution.

12. mercdizzle

mercdizzle Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    speed tests on sprint 3g are faster than the crappy 4g connection I get.

13. mercdizzle

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Finally a guy with some sense!

Android is a great OS, but this lack of 4g and shitty battery just ain't good enough.

14. rdegk15

None

May 30, 2010
    San Antonio
    Update on my signal speeds: (San Antonio)

WIFI: 7.47 mbps download .55 upload (roadrunner)

4G: 1.90 mbps download .96 upload (in my house, 1 bar of 4G)

3G: 0.35 mbps download .14 upload

15. fayester

fayester Member
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    Only 2 hours from heavy use? Me thinks he has a lemon. But it doesnt matter cause he going back to the iPhone. :D

16. mercdizzle

None

Jun 7, 2010
    You're correct in every sense. The phone is definitely a muscle car.

Too bad 600hp doesn't mean shit when you're out of gas.

TopherG likes this.
  17. mercdizzle

None

Jun 7, 2010
    wifi: 2792 down, 847 up
    4g: 741 down, 644 up
    3g: 1730 down, 753 up

18. fayester

fayester Member
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    So then why is that others in your same location are able to get 4g? I stand by my original assesment that you might have a lemon and instead of I dunno, getting a replacement, you create this thread....

19. rdegk15

None

May 30, 2010
    San Antonio

Where in San Antonio are you at?

20. mercdizzle

None

Jun 7, 2010
    or it could be a few other threads with the same exact problem. Or another poster that has looked at the software and sees that the 4g radio is underpowered on the phone...

21. mercdizzle

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Work by the att center, live by sea world, take 90 to 151 on the way home.

22. maxx2496

maxx2496 Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    making money
    here
    what part of san antonio, . coverage gets a little spotty around 1604/151 . but i do have to agree with you, i rarely see the 4g icon active and i always have it on. i'm hoping it is something to be improved by sprint, 2.2 os, etc...... but 3g still works pretty fast and i also have wifi. consider the "airwave" from sprint $5/ mo.

23. misterzeno

misterzeno Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Phone Wars rofl

24. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    There is some kind of issue with the wifi and 4g radio. Taking it out for testing today. But there is something not right. I think it is just a software issue, since the google i/o phones and the review phones do not seem to have a problem.

25. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicago, USA
    WiMax speed in my house.. (Chicago)

[​IMG]

Tags: