1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Really considering Galaxy 10.1, but have series reservations about Kies

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pmasonjdcpa, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pmasonjdcpa

pmasonjdcpa Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Hello all,

First time I've visited this site, and have been extremely impressed with a lot of posts on here. Very intelligent community members across the board.

I've previously used Apple iPhone / iPads, but I've been extremely impressed w/ the reviews about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm absolutely ready to take the plunge into the Android world, but the reviews/comments on Kies have stopped me in my tracks.

Here's my bottom line question: Do I absolutely HAVE to use Kies? It appears you can work around for media / audio storage, but when it comes to syncing contacts & calendars, making back-ups, upgrading firmware, etc, it appears that it's Kies or bust.

I'd appreciate any and all comments. Thanks for indulging me on my first post here.

Kind regards,

Philip

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, Philip.

In my opinion, Kies itself is the workaround. Android is designed to sync through the cloud and that's how it should happen. If you feel the need to tether, that's fine, but don't make it the only way something works like that other company ;)

Files are easily transferred and backed up over Wifi, contacts, mail, SMS, calendars all happen in the cloud. Really, the only thing you may need to keep kies around for is firmware upgrades. I know that my Asus Transformer get's periodic OTA updates so the only thing I use the cable for is charging it.

3. sunlimited

sunlimited Member
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    same here, I only use the cable to charge it or move over the occasional movie or tv show

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I haven't even downloaded Kies. What would I need it for anyway, no point.

5. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Nope...if you're using windows. When you first connect the tab Windows finds it and installs a driver, but does not assign a drive letter right away. But once you unplug reboot the tab and connect again, windows finds it and gives it a drive letter, then you can drag & drop or copy/paste files easily. I never installed Kies or anything else and it works fine. The tab will show it's in MTP mode. If you're using a Mac you may have issues.
    Syncing contacts, calendar events, etc is easily done with your Google account. That way if you have an Android phone calendars and contacts synchronize with the same account automatically - no need to update your online account or other device...works great!
    :D

6. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    I'm not sure yet, but you might need it for firmware updates. I hope updates can be done OTA like other Android devices now that the tab has 3.1 and TouchWiz.

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    AFAIR they are available OTA. BEsides, I do not expect updates to come very often, so Kies can be installed when an update is out and needs to be applied.

8. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    It would be nice if updates were OTA. I don't expect updates either, being a Samsung device, but I checked it out heavily before purchasing to ensure everything I needed worked ok.

I have noticed a few bugs in the Rogers edition release related to widgets not updating properly. But I have since installed and use other non-Samsung widgets which do update properly. So far I'm happy, and having a data connection all the time is great.
    :)

9. maquimike

maquimike Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    If you actually got Windows to assign a drive letter to the Galaxy Tab, you've performed some magic that very few have been able to repeat.

Yes, you can see the Tab as a "portable device", and use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop any type of files just about anywhere.

But if you want to use any sort of synchronization software for general file management (not just "music, movies and pictures"), the software will require a drive letter be assigned by Windows. In other words, it will show up as a "device with removable storage" in the Explorer rather than a "portable device".

Again, if you have Tab mounted with a drive letter, please share the pixie dust. :) No amount of re-boots, USB debug mode on/off, etc. has worked thus far.

10. RobDickson

RobDickson Android Enthusiast
    None

I got the first firmware update OTA. I've been meaning to find out what this Kies thing does, but haven't found the need to use it yet.

Most things I need are synchronised through the Cloud and I can access my network drives over wi-fi without using Kies.

11. rumbataz

rumbataz Guest
    None
    I've not had a single issue with Kies. Fantastic app!

12. RobDickson

None

So, what does Kies actually do then?

13. rumbataz

rumbataz Guest
    None
    It allows you to manage your device from your PC. For example, you can update the firmware on your device with Kies, or you can synchonise files and folders between your PC and your device. It works through either a cable USB connection or wireless. Fimrware updates have to be done using a cable but most other functions are supported wirelessly.

14. RobDickson

None

Thanks. I can update the firmware and synchronise files without using a computer, so think I'll carry on without Kies for the moment.

Thanks again.

Rob

15. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The original poster came from Apple world where constant syncing with a computer is the norm. Even apple has finally moved past that since ios5. Android never needed it.