• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Really disappointed with this phone

+1 for getting a replacement
If that one is funky, replace that. I would repeat those steps until all of the physical problems are perfect, then focus on the software. People here can help out with that. If you still don't like your experience, then ebay the phone, give us all the finger, enjoy your next phone.

It is on Verizon and a little bit Motorola to get you running. If there is something they can do, make sure they do it while you are still under warranty. It is still your responsibility to make sure they are holding up their end of the bargain. It sucks babysitting these companies sometimes, I know.

Upvote 0
The biggest design flaw for me is the physical keyboard. Its constantly opening in my pocket. On top of that, it needs a case on it to keep the keyboard somewhat tight. But, when the case is on, I cannot use the touch screen for typing when the phone is charging. I don't know why but all the words just double tap and add a period after everything. Should NOT have a problem like that.

The Android OS I think is, well...shitty. Apps and messaging are constantly force closing, which causes phone freezing and deleting of all my texts at least once a week. The phone has also taken a liking to shutting itself off randomly too as of late. The app market has nothing really worth my time either like iTunes does. Facebook is just a disaster that lacks several features and always goes down. I absolutely hate the touch screen too, after using an iPod touch for so long its like downgrading to shitty multitouch that can never get the word or letter that you want to type.
The phone is probably one of the worst problems. No one can hear me! I have to repeat everything several times til they get something I say. Its funny because most of the people I talk to have iPhones...and they come through crystal clear and they have good call quality with others on their phones. so why can't the droid I paid $250 do that too?
Like most other people said, it really does sound like you just have a bum unit. I've had mine since December and have had no problems similar to the ones you're describing. Actually, I've had no problems at all. Let me ask you an easy question, though: When you're texting on the virtual keyboard, are you selecting words from the suggested list right above the keyboard? If so, then that automatically adds a space after the word and you may be pushing space again, which adds a period.

If you don't want to try and exchange your phone for a new or refurbished one, that's your decision. Just don't go off telling people that the DROID and the Android OS sucks because you had a broken unit.

Upvote 0
Like most other people said, it really does sound like you just have a bum unit. I've had mine since December and have had no problems similar to the ones you're describing. Actually, I've had no problems at all. Let me ask you an easy question, though: When you're texting on the virtual keyboard, are you selecting words from the suggested list right above the keyboard? If so, then that automatically adds a space after the word and you may be pushing space again, which adds a period.

If you don't want to try and exchange your phone for a new or refurbished one, that's your decision. Just don't go off telling people that the DROID and the Android OS sucks because you had a broken unit.

Nope. My virtual keyboard problem is strange. It only double/triple taps a letter and adds a space after every word when it is charging. After 2.1 it also took to adding capitalized versions of common words like "you" and "that" to the dictionary. Everytime I tried and delete them they would just come back again.

Upvote 0
moral of the story

GO GET A NEW PHONE FROM VERIZON!

You probably have a faulty phone. they will replace it

if you get a pre-owned droid oh well. thats what they give out right now.

don't most people have insurance on their phones?

as a lot of people said don't blame google/android for the problems. its the hardware not the software

Upvote 0
moral of the story

GO GET A NEW PHONE FROM VERIZON!

You probably have a faulty phone. they will replace it

if you get a pre-owned droid oh well. thats what they give out right now.

don't most people have insurance on their phones?

as a lot of people said don't blame google/android for the problems. its the hardware not the software

^^^ This.. So what if they give you a referb for your 6 month old droid? Wouldn't a working refurb be better than your phone that is obviously making you very unhappy currently?

sidenote: if any of you don't have insurance, i suggest you get it. My first droid was stolen and the first thought in my head was "Damnit, I shouldn't have turned down the insurance."... I was lucky, the boss paid for it since he was the one that let the guy that stole my phone in my office, but to buy the phone outright was $599.00 plus tax and accessories. With insurance I would have had to pay a $125 deductible.

I could have picked one up somewhere else like ebay for cheaper, but I needed it immediately and I probably would have gotten my own phone sold back to me.. lol

Moral of the story: $6 bucks a month on your bill is worth it.

Upvote 0
^^^ This.. So what if they give you a referb for your 6 month old droid? Wouldn't a working refurb be better than your phone that is obviously making you very unhappy currently?

sidenote: if any of you don't have insurance, i suggest you get it. My first droid was stolen and the first thought in my head was "Damnit, I shouldn't have turned down the insurance."... I was lucky, the boss paid for it since he was the one that let the guy that stole my phone in my office, but to buy the phone outright was $599.00 plus tax and accessories. With insurance I would have had to pay a $125 deductible.

I could have picked one up somewhere else like ebay for cheaper, but I needed it immediately and I probably would have gotten my own phone sold back to me.. lol

Moral of the story: $6 bucks a month on your bill is worth it.

Unless they changed the deductible within the last 4 days, it should only be $80. Well, that is if you got the insurance that is offered through Verizon (cant think of the insurance company name). If you got insurance offered through a different service, the deductible may be higher, but the deductible for the insurance offered through Verizon should only be $80.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Unless they changed the deductible within the last 4 days, it should only be $80. Well, that is if you got the insurance that is offered through Verizon (cant think of the insurance company name). If you got insurance offered through a different service, the deductible may be higher, but the deductible for the insurance offered through Verizon should only be $80.

Kratos

Well then.. Even better.. lol

Upvote 0
Well then.. Even better.. lol

Yea, except that I only paid $99.99 for my droid because I had a $100 NE2 credit and then the $100 mail in rebate. So I kind of feel like I'm paying as much as I did for the phone in the first place. Of course there are a lot of people who have gotten their MotoDroid for only $20 off Amazon and other online retailers. For them the $80 deductible would feel like a rip off.

But then I just tell myself that $80 is better than $600, which is what the full retail price is for the MotoDroid.

Oh well. Thank God for insurance, right? LOL :D;)

Kratos

Upvote 0
Got my "like new" yesterday. I was a little worried at first because it was poorly packaged. Pulled the "like new" box it was in out of the fedex box and it looked like it was overstuffed and falling apart. I pulled the phone out with the test sheet and the test sheet looked like it had been quickly folded and just slammed in there.

However, the phone is working great so far, no problems as of yet. I'm keeping my old one around for a few days just in case the system starts going whacky.

Upvote 0
Well, since you've gotten your "like new" phone, rooting might be something to consider. I read earlier that you didn't know how, which is understandable, but learning how to root is very easy. As long as you don't have 2.1-update then rooting couldn't be easier. However, if you do have 2.1-update, you may just want to wait on Froyo to come out. There are forums everywhere that can tell you how to root on 2.1-update, and if you follow them thoroughly, then you should have no problems. I highly recommend it, because it would probably help with some of your doubts about Android. Overclocking your processor speeds the phone up a hell of a lot, and using LauncherPro as your home launcher is also a great decision. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Well, since you've gotten your "like new" phone, rooting might be something to consider. I read earlier that you didn't know how, which is understandable, but learning how to root is very easy. As long as you don't have 2.1-update then rooting couldn't be easier. However, if you do have 2.1-update, you may just want to wait on Froyo to come out. There are forums everywhere that can tell you how to root on 2.1-update, and if you follow them thoroughly, then you should have no problems. I highly recommend it, because it would probably help with some of your doubts about Android. Overclocking your processor speeds the phone up a hell of a lot, and using LauncherPro as your home launcher is also a great decision. Just my two cents.

You keep mentioning 2.1-update. You state that rooting with 2.1-update couldn't be easier, but then in the very next sentence, you state that if you have 2.1-update, you need to wait for FroYo. So, I'm curious as to what it is that you are actually trying to tell us.

Also, I have read through the forums involving root and personally think that rooting with 2.1 update 1 would be a lot easier than trying to root with 2.0.1. I have not rooted, but if I were going to, I would definitely make sure I have 2.1 update 1 installed before I rooted.

Kratos

Upvote 0
You keep mentioning 2.1-update. You state that rooting with 2.1-update couldn't be easier, but then in the very next sentence, you state that if you have 2.1-update, you need to wait for FroYo. So, I'm curious as to what it is that you are actually trying to tell us.

Also, I have read through the forums involving root and personally think that rooting with 2.1 update 1 would be a lot easier than trying to root with 2.0.1. I have not rooted, but if I were going to, I would definitely make sure I have 2.1 update 1 installed before I rooted.

Kratos

Yes rooting with 2.1 is no longer difficult at all.
Just flash the .sbf. which givrs uou sprecovery then install the update by OMJ. and your rooted

Upvote 0

Kratos

He said as long as you don't have 2.1 then it's easy. And he is saying this because if you are updated to 2.1 you have to use RSD Lite to flash back to 2.01 then go through the rooting process and installing either SPRecovery or Clockwork, or you could use ROM Manager from the Android Market which flashes either with the click of a button.

Upvote 0
He said as long as you don't have 2.1 then it's easy. And he is saying this because if you are updated to 2.1 you have to use RSD Lite to flash back to 2.01 then go through the rooting process and installing either SPRecovery or Clockwork, or you could use ROM Manager from the Android Market which flashes either with the click of a button.

Thats one too many steps for me. Trying to keep this phone in workable condition and with my luck the phone will brick. So no rooting for me

Upvote 0

You don't have to go back to 2.0.1. There is a .sbf file that has standard 2.1 with SPRecovery. Flash that sbf, then install whatever ROM you choose with SP Recovery.

Upvote 0
Thats one too many steps for me. Trying to keep this phone in workable condition and with my luck the phone will brick. So no rooting for me

I wouldn't worry about rooting. Test out your like new phone and hopefully the 2.2 update will roll out soon. Performance should improve and it might be enough to keep you happy.

Question: I never had a "like new" phone so I dont' know the answer but are you able to get insurance for that phone you just received? If so, I would invest in it.

Upvote 0

With all due respect:

No sir, you DO NOT have to flash back to 2.01. I only chime in here because this statement is misleading mis-information. I recently rooted my OTA 2.1-update after weeks of reading every "root your Droid" thread between here and Mars... and I did NOT "flash back to 2.01".

{mumbles}
cant believe i read this whole dumb thread anyway...
still early...
need.... more..... coffee... with... Irish Creme...
{/mumbles}

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones