1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General really dumb article on GN screen cracks from cnet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BubbaNexus, Jan 6, 2012.

1. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011

Advertisement

2. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm really tired of reading cnet articles; they are heavily iphone biased to begin with.

BubbaNexus likes this.
  3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The best part of the article is the guy blames the phone in one sentence and then talks about how he cracked an outbox case in a mountain bike accident the next. Does this guy think smart phones are suppose to withstand him running the iron man with them?

Any phone, ANY phone that you drop onto a sink then tile is going to get a cracked screen. The entire article was suppose to be about how important cases are, however the author isn't very good and voided his entire point by trying to take a swipe at the Nexus.

But the best part is the author trying to bring up the iPhone as the pinnacle of durability. Those things have shattered just from being in a case too long.

jroc and jbdan like this.
  4. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    some dude's comment on that article

VTjlee, jroc, BubbaNexus and 3 others like this.
  5. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    The article didn't seem too biased to me. Read gizmodo for that. He does make a good point, cases are a good idea. Still I find myself hating them so much I take the chance. I'm normally a clutz, but when I got my first Android phone, an Eris, I made it a point to be very very careful. I always have a silicone case, but use it only on weekends or away from home.

6. ShanMan14

ShanMan14 Member
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    This guy seems to have a propensity to drop things. I wonder if he's aware that Gorilla Glass can crack, too? :thinking:

jroc likes this.
  7. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Probably not. Not just cell phones but just about everything they produce these days is worth nothing.

When I looked at the article earlier, I noticed it wasn't on their blogging site, if they have a blogging site. Some major "media" places will put stuff like this on their blogging portion of the site, so they can still stay "accredited".

8. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    but but but...it's gorilla glass! it should withstand a small thermonuclear detonation, right? :thinking: :p

jroc and syntrix like this.
  9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Wait wait wait....

Glass breaks?!?! :rolleyes:

:D

jroc and jkc120 like this.
  10. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Epic!@!!!!!

11. hlsilver

hlsilver Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    That fact that he blames the phone when he dropped it from a porcelain sink and then a tile floor really makes me question why I have ever used CNet as a source for reviews and information. Nearly any phone when dropped like that is going to crack, gorilla glass or not. That is a completely ridiculous article.

jroc and quiklives like this.
  12. blkbeltkid17

blkbeltkid17 Android Expert
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Virginia, United States Of America
    Completely agree that's ridiculous

13. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    I had my original droid fall on concrete naked at least 5 times. The screen just managed to get a couple of scratches over my years of abuse, while the rest of the phone banged up badly. The phone was in my pocket with keys all the time and it took about a year before I found the first scratch.

You can build phones that take abuse if you make it a priority. It looks like Motorola did that when it designed the RAZR. Other companies like Samsung and Apple have recently decided to make the phones look sleeker at the expense of durability.

I am just aware that I have to be more careful with the Galaxy Nexus than with my Droid. I can live with it, but I miss the peace of mind of having a bullet proof phone.

14. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I think the size might help the Droid 1. I can press down hard on my DX1 and it gives, you can see the screen change color in that spot. I cant do that on my Droid 1. Both have Gorilla Glass.

I have a Droid X1. Had it for about 9 months. In that time it had maybe 1 lil scratch, scuffs and nicks on the shell. The shell looked worse than the screen.

Let my ex gf borrow it. After about another 9 months it now has a big crack in the corner. The piece covering the mic is gone, it has 2 black spots on the screen. All this didnt happen until after my ex gf got hold of it but still...lol.

At the same time my Droid 1 screen looks alot better in the same amount of time.

I have seen enough pics of Droid 1's and DX1 with cracked screens to know know no screen is indestructible. Take 2 of the same phone. Phone A can drop just right once and shatter. Phone B can fall in ways that it doesnt break until months later.

15. quiklives

quiklives Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    This. The second day I had my Nexus, I went over to my dad's house, and dropped it from about shoulder height (I'm 5'5" so that's not as far as it is for some people) onto ceramic tile. The battery cover and battery went flying, and the phone landed face down. I was so afraid to pick it up...but it was fine! Not so much as a scratch or a ding!

I still went and got a case for it that night, because the whole reason I dropped it was that slick back, no grip. I got the incipio silicrylic case at the Verizon store, and I'm quite happy with it. I might order the light grey version instead of black, but I bought what was available. No screen protector, though...guess I'm still tempting fate, but I hate the way they feel.

16. blkbeltkid17

None

Nov 16, 2010
    Male
    Student
    this ^^^

all screens are "made the same" but are not all the same and i guess its the luck of the draw that you get one made "right" and it will withstand the usage

17. XxMalicexX

XxMalicexX Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Gov't Contractor
    Oceanside, CA
    i am gonna plug something...trident cases buy one, use it they work i had one on my droid x and that thing looked brand new after 2.5 years of use. i can't rep them enough. with that being said i just had to replace the front glass on my gf's iphone because it has been shattered to the point of getting glass stuck in your face when you make a phone call...tldr: cnet guy is dumb, buy a good solid case, iphones suck

18. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Like the first week I got my original Droid (while everyone was still raving about how awesome gorilla glass was), someone made a post with pics of their phone. He was running through his kitchen with his phone in his pocket, glass side out, and ran into the corner of the counter. Screen hits corner and broke.... badly.

And then of course there was the guy that accidentally had his Droid thrown off the balcony of a hotel in Vegas.... that was amusing.

Fortified glasses are amazingly resistant to scratches and cracks/breaks. But if you hit them hard enough, or even just the right way or right angle, they will break. It's still glass, it's still breakable. It's just tougher than most.

19. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, and like I said there were all kinds of stories about the iPhone 4 (not sure if they are still using gorilla glass, there was some debate in the comments of the linked article) having the glass crack when put into certain cases.

20. blkbeltkid17

None

Nov 16, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Let's order some gn gorilla glass 2 and replace our now. Lol

jroc likes this.
  21. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011

i hear that's made from kyptonite! :eek:

22. blkbeltkid17

None

Nov 16, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Lol maybe it is lol but at the ces demo its the same strength just 0.2 mm thinner

Tags: