1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

really simple maps question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benjamin163, Mar 1, 2011.

1. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Do I have the ability on my HTC Desire to star my current location on google maps and give it a name?
    eg I wander past a nice bit of graffiti which I want to mark on my map. Can I start navigation, get found by gps and then name my location 'cool graf' and star it so that in future I can get directions back to it should I need them?
    If that's possible can someone let me know how?
    Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. micktee28

micktee28 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    The app ' footprints' is ideal for this. You can take a picture of some thing and footprints will record your location so can easily look it up when you want in the app.

3. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Hi Micktee28, thanks for that.
    Yes I've used footprints, it's fun.
    But not quite what I was after.
    On my old Nokia I was able to star wherever I was, name it and it would forever be recorded in 'favourites'.
    A really simple way to use GPS.
    I can't find that functionality anywhere on my google maps app which surprises me because it seems an obvious one.
    I'd like to be able to put friends' houses in when I visit, so that I can navigate back when I next go thee. Or star nice restaurants or street stalls I've found, especially in foreign countries. Most useful when you revisit but can't quite remember exactly where it was.
    But it seems like I can't do it.
    I'm not sure footprints gives you the option to navigate back there does it? I'll have a look.
    Thanks for the reply though.

4. micktee28

micktee28 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    You can navigate in footprints, to use this feature you need to click on a footprint then click on the address under the picture, this will then open up google maps. Then click on the speech type bubble and this should open another screen where you can select navigate to. Alternatively, when in google maps you can long press on an address, click the address bubble that pops up, from here you can click on the star in the top right corner near the picture to add this to your starred places. Maybe this it's what you was looking for in the first place, I'm not sure how much you can do with starred places as I haven't really used it.

5. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    I seem to remember an app that acted as an address book for maps/navigation. Sorry can't remember the name but it does seem to suggest that the maps app can't do it itself.

6. chris 290

chris 290 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    You can save as a favorite, just long press on screen, address loads - click on address, press star at top right so it goes yellow, then its set as a favorite. So yes I think you can do what you want if im reading what you want correctly :)

7. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, they are really helpful.
    Chris 290 you're right, you can do that.
    Unfortunately I haven't found a way of editing the place name.
    So you can long press 'my position' and it will save as the address, but if I wanted to put 'nice food stall' or 'ben's house' it doesn't want to let me do that. So all I'm left with in starred places is a list of addresses which mean nothing to me.
    I just want to be able to star my current location and edit the name to mean something.
    Maybe you're right Mick, and footprints i s the best way to go about it. Shame you can't do it straight from maps though.
    Thanks again for the answers and if anyone can enlighten me more then I will be most grateful.

8. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    It's a bizarre oversight in the current version of Maps. When I had a Sony phone, I could mark where I was and edit the name, but you can't do that now. Yes, you can save the address as a fav, but you can't give it a custom name.

I use Footprints and it's a good app, but Maps should allow you to save any location and give it a custom name.

9. benjamin163

benjamin163 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks for the answer Partridge, I'm glad you have had the same problem, I thought I was going mad.
    Yes it was something I could do on my old Nokia very easily as well and it was very useful I have to say.
    I'll stick it as a suggestion to google.

10. micktee28

micktee28 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    I have found a way to do this. After you have starred a place you can go to google.com/bookmarks either on the phone browser or on a pc and from here you can change the name of the location. Not ideal but a workaround until they implement an easier way to do it.

Tags: