• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Really slow 3G speeds with new EVO, any diagnosis?

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
I picked up a refurbed EVO Tuesday and immediately rooted it. I later found out that the 3G is really slow, i'm only getting .05-.1Mbps through speedtest.net's app but the actual experience feels much slower. Switching to 4G or wifi will yield appropriate speeds.

I thought maybe it was the ROMs but i went back to the stock ROM, Myn's ROM, and Fresh's ROMs and they all had slow 3G speeds.

Any ideas on what's up? My last resort would be to unroot it and bring it back for them to check it out :/

I picked up a refurbed EVO Tuesday and immediately rooted it. I later found out that the 3G is really slow, i'm only getting .05-.1Mbps through speedtest.net's app but the actual experience feels much slower. Switching to 4G or wifi will yield appropriate speeds.

I thought maybe it was the ROMs but i went back to the stock ROM, Myn's ROM, and Fresh's ROMs and they all had slow 3G speeds.

Any ideas on what's up? My last resort would be to unroot it and bring it back for them to check it out :/

There's a thread named "Horrific 3g Speeds" thats covers this, I believe it's still on the first page in this forum. I would post the link but I'm not at my computer atm.

Upvote 0
Reactions: tracerit
Upvote 0
Hi tracerit. Since your EVO is rooted, I moved your thread to the All Things Root sub-forum where you will get better assistance.

I still feel this belongs in the Troubleshooting subforum.

I'll try to have Sprint re-provision the phone over the line, otherwise I'll bring it in. I've tried changing the HTTP PD Proxy settings as well but to no avail.

Upvote 0
I still feel this belongs in the Troubleshooting subforum.

I'll try to have Sprint re-provision the phone over the line, otherwise I'll bring it in. I've tried changing the HTTP PD Proxy settings as well but to no avail.

But have you updated your PRL and Profile? A member of our forum, Surfoligist I believe, called Sprint, happen to get a really cool, knowledgeable person on the phone, who was willing to give him some really good information, and the Sprint guy said that updating your Profile is pretty much the equivalent of Sprint reprovisioning your phone. If you haven't tried those 2 things, I would recommend you do so before calling/taking it in to Sprint. It's worth a try. :)

Upvote 0
yeah, i tried updating PRL and Profile over and over all last night but that didn't work.

fixed! re-provisioning worked. i had to do ##3282#, Edit, Data, Menu, Restore. It rebooted my phone and now i'm back to 1Mbps download speeds :p Thanks for the link and help everyone :)

That's all reprovisioning entails? So essentially we can now do this ourselves now that we know the steps (thanks to you)? Is there anything else?

Upvote 0
I just tried this and it does seem to speed things up. Its definitely different than the update profile process. Once it commits the changes it will reboot your phone. Once the reboot is complete it does a hands free activation, then checks for PRL updates, and then checks for firmware updates (I canceled this step). Worth shot!

I ran a few speed tests and my ping times were in the 100s as opposed to 300s and higher. My downloads actually went over 2mb.

Im gonna add this to my mods and tweaks thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/266672-mods-tweaks.html

Upvote 0
Big Thanks for posting the actual steps!!!!!!!!!!
##3282#, Edit,Enter MSL, Data Profile, Menu, Restore

yeah, i tried updating PRL and Profile over and over all last night but that didn't work.

fixed! re-provisioning worked. i had to do ##3282#, Edit, Data, Menu, Restore. It rebooted my phone and now i'm back to 1Mbps download speeds :p Thanks for the link and help everyone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones