1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Really sticky Problem - No one can answer so far!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by atmop, May 31, 2011.

1. atmop

atmop Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Hi all, up to now when saving a contact I had three options: "Phone", "Sim" and "Google". (tapping "Create Contact" then there used to be those three options under "Save Contact to:")
    But now suddenly the "Sim" option is gone and I can only save to Phone or Google contacts. I did delete a few apps recently (but 'Contacts' should be ok). but cannot figure how this has happened.
    I cannot figure it out as 'sync to gmail' is OFF under 'accounts and sync' in settings. (Pnone: Samsung i5500 Android 2.0)
    I just noticed: the whole 'page' for inputting contact info is now the Google style page - how do I go back to the old system? (having the three options: save to 'sim' or 'phone' or 'google' ?
    please help
    Thanks
    Vincent

Advertisement

2. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    I don't know if this will help, but did you disable viewing SIM card contacts? It might disable you from saving there as well.

Also, one last thing you could try is (if your phone is rooted), pushing another Contacts.apk from another person with the same phone back into your /system/app/ folder. You could probably find contacts.apk on XDA forums.

3. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    In addition to the above post, is it possible you SIM card is full? No more space for contacts?

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Also remember that the SIM card does not save all fields of the contact entry, Just the name and one number.

5. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Just for my personal reference, would it be the first number stored under a given contact?

6. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Yes, once moved to the phone memory it goes under "Other" though, so not sure how it works completely. Apparently my SIM card allows for one name slot (you have to fit first and last name into one text box), one number, and one email address. I agree with the second poster, your SIM card may be full, that's a good point!

7. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    Did you delete Stk.apk ?

8. atmop

atmop Lurker
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    To Barqers: no, didn't disable viewing 'sim' (can still see all my contacts and most are already in sim - little mini sim symbol beside name)
    I'm afraid my phone is not rooted. I'm not sure what a .apk file is or does and don't know how to view. I do have a file viewing app but think it only looks at my sd card (home dir is /sdcard/ and i cannot go up from there, only down into sd card). Your reply is appreciated, thanks.

To amlothi: Could you tell me how to check if my sim card is full? I don't mind that it only stores name and number - I don't want to store anything else. Now my data entry page is full of fields that i don't want (obviously the Google input page has taken over from the simple name and number page I have lost with the 'sim' option under 'new contact'. Thanks for reply.

To Janpetras: How do I check if I still have the Stk.apk file?

9. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    In my app drawer there is an icon for SIM tools. Not sure if it's the same on every phone, but that might tell you.

10. bolbim33

bolbim33 Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    me too, please need help. this is SOOO annoying. i've scoured the internet trying to find a solution for hours. how do i get the save contact as option back? i only have option to save to phone. no other option such as gmail/sim.

11. taracuda

taracuda Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    The same exact thing happened to me. I looked all over the web and this was the only thread that came close to the problem. Finally I called my provider and found out that a SIM card can ONLY save 250 contacts. I deleted one contact (to make it 249) and then the option came back.

Seems kind of lame that you can't save more contacts than that but I think that's the answer you're looking for.

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Your SIM card could be bad. It's happened. Corrupted to where you can read but not write.