1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Really torn: Charge or Dinc 2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TRSN, Jul 17, 2011.

1. TRSN

TRSN Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    I am planning on moving from Sprint to Verizon in the coming weeks and continue to go back and forth between the Charge and Dinc 2. I currently have the Samsung Epic and have had a fair amount of problems (not sure what issues to attribute to Samsung and which to Sprint).

My area is getting 4g next week, so the Charge theoretically will be faster. I just don't have much faith in Samsung these days. But boy, the AMOLED screen is nice.

I use the phone primarily for text, email, browsing, and GPS. Don't watch movies.

Please share which you chose and why. thx.

Advertisement

2. SLeepdepD

SLeepdepD Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I just went from the Motorola Droid 1 to the DInc 2 last week, but considered both the Thunderbolt and Charge. Also my wife has the Samsung Fascinate.

I thought about the Charge and 4G in general but ultimately decided to turn it down. Although faster Internet would be nice a comment I saw summed it up nicely for me "batteries aren't ready for 4G". Maybe not entirely accurate, but from all I've read it seems like the phones switch back and forth between the 3G and 4G radios all day depending on quality of signal which results in short battery life (people are talking as low as 4-6 hours depending on usage). Some people can deal with that, with my Droid 1 I was used to plugging the phone in via USB around lunch everyday because my battery was old. Perhaps waiting for the second generation 4G phones might be wiser. Constantly dealing with a short battery life doesn't seem a fair trade for the benefit faster web browsing when you need it.

There are only 2 - 4G phones on Verizon--doesn't seem like much choice there.

To speak the question of the Samsung Charge, somewhat referencing the Samsung Fascinate my wife has: I personally didn't like the TouchWiz interface. I found the color scheme ugly on the Charge. We waited for months and months for Samsung/Verizon to release an update. Personally what turned me off to the Charge, although perhaps minor: no notification LED. If your phone is sitting on the desk or bedside and you have a text or email there's no blinking light to let you know. Not sure what the thought process was there.

3. StreakTheQuad

StreakTheQuad Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    I had the same issue and went with the dinc2. It's much smoother and I decided that LTE wasn't as important as I initially thought it would be. I really wanted the galaxy s 2 but had to pick out a work phone so couldn't wait.

Absolutely loving the dinc2, no regrets.

4. Geraldo Coant

Geraldo Coant Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I have even thought of this question in the past, however have not reached the result, Sigh ~

5. mgftp

mgftp Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    I had to make the same decisions not long ago. I went with the Dinc2, but I don't care about 4G, in fact I almost prefer not to have it for battery life. I am sure I would have it turned off 99% of the time if my phone did have it. So with that said, and the price difference, the choice was easy for me.

If 4G is important to you, then I think the choice should be just as easy the other way around. But with how you described your usage, I am not sure why 4G would be important to you.

6. comprocon

comprocon Lurker
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    The DInc2 is nice, and while not promoting the charge in particular, I do have to say, the benefit of data with voice simultaneous would be a nice benefit, depending on your usage. It's an odd time right now, because although I would think 4G is the future, people are often complaining about the battery life.

That being said, I'm personally going to get a 4G phone next anyway...

7. Jman42028

Jman42028 Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2011
    Store Manager for vzw
    by the lake..
    there are 3 4g phones on verizon. The Thunderbolt, charge and LG Revolution, fyi.

I live in a non-4g area. So for me, the inc2 works just fine. Honestly, the speeds are great, but what are you downloading that you need 20mbps? Are you doing torrents on your phone? Netflix? Just curious. For me, I'm an HTC guy now, coming from the original inc, to the inc 2. My next phone will be HTC's next 4g offering.

The Charge is not a bad phone, but I dunno, something about those samsung phones, they just feel cheaply made, not saying they are, but its all plastic and feels cheap compared to the revolution and tbolt.

8. nickc9.3

nickc9.3 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    if you go to android police which is amazing and gives awesome reviews on the web you will see how bad the charge is. Its overpriced, the software is very buggy and it only has 512 mb of ram.

If i were you, id hold out to august to purchase the samsung galaxy s2. THat will BE the best Android on the market.