1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RealVNC allows V to mirror PC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndyOpie150, Aug 23, 2012.

1. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

I installed RealVNC onto my desktop and androidVNC onto my V (Gingerbread Optimus V/Optimus One hybrid ROM).
    Followed directions during install on desktop (didn't reboot pc until after getting IP address and setting up password). Set androidVNC to 24 bit color (4bpp) and put in only IP address and password. Didn't seem to need the Port # the first time, but wrote be it down as well (did need it later).

Watched movie on Crackle thru desktop on my V (a little laggy, but PC is old and slow with only 1 GB of RAM and V's CPU speed was only at 748MHz, and RAM was below 40%).
    This could be a way to watch Netflix on a V with a custom ROM. Will do more testing with higher CPU speed and more usable RAM.
    This will require the PC to be on while away from the house. I need to find some app that will remotely turn on PC's screen (just installed everything last night, so I haven't had time to explore all the possibilities yet).

Between the zoom + and - is a square (I had to bring the zoom up by long pressing a clear spot). Once tapped it brought up my keyboard.

I (thru the phone) opened up a command prompt on my desktop and was able to give commands with no problem.

This thread was done on my desktop and thru my V.

Next up is possible Ubuntu (not Debian Squeeze) on the V.

TheRealKTFO likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Android Expert

Or, you could use teamveiwer. No need to setup, if your going to do this with linux, you could actually just create a chroot with debian squeeze (supports armv6, ubuntu does not.) and then use tightvnc, and then squeeze uses your 3g connection.

3. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

Tell me more.
    I have already figured out (the hard way) that Ubuntu won't work on an ARM6 device. I have the full Debian.img on the uSD card. It is installed (the terminal emulator say's so), but can't get the androidVNC viewer to complete the handshake without timing out so I can connect to the GUI (used it first to mirror my desktop which is probably why). Used localhost as the IP address first (got an error). Then tried "etho: error fetching interface information: Device not found" which is where it times out.

4. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Android Expert

Make sure you have a GUI installed. I suggest kde. I think its: sudo apt-get install kde
    ^ It will probably take awhile, so I would plug it in and use wifi instead of 3g.
    I'll post a link when I remember where it is xD

Take from: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ndroid-optimus-s-walkthrough.html#post1006255

Setting up VNC and LXDE (so you don't have to look at terminal lines all day)
    Apps > Terminal Emulator > Type: linuxboot > Enter <---If your not already in already.
    Type > apt-get update > enter --- 5 minutes

Tight VNC Server
    Type > apt-get install tightvncserver > Type y > Press enter --10 minutes

LXDE
    Type > apt-get install lxde > type y > Press enter - 30 Minutes+
    After a while you should get this screen

Press Menu > Preferences > Control key > Choose Camera Key > Back key > Back Key
    Fully Depress the Camera Button Down and Tap the number 9 on the soft key board > Release Camera key > Tap Space Bar -- now two times more
    Fully Depress the Camera Button Down and Tap the number 9 on the soft key board > Release Camera key > Tap Space Bar
    Fully Depress the Camera Button Down and Tap the number 9 on the soft key board > Release Camera key > Tap Space Bar
    The process should continue installing LXDE

tightvncserver Setup
    Type> export USER=root > enter
    Type> vncserver -geometry 1024x800 > enter
    enter password > enter (use something simple you can remember i used 123123123 like they did on the nexusonehacks.net writeup)
    verify password > enter

Press Enter after typing each line of the following code. Be Very Slow and Deliberate. Double Check Each line for Capitalization and accuracy before pressing Enter! I do not know how to edit this again --hidden note-->Perhaps some one can show me/tell me how

cat > /root/.vnc/xtartup
    #!/bin/sh
    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    icewm &
    lxsession

Now Press and Hold the Camera Key and Tap D twice on the soft keyboard > Press Enter (it may ask to press 1 do not and only press enter)
    If your camera key wasn't set look here to set it again--->Press Menu > Preferences > Control key > Choose Camera Key > Back key > Back Key

Setting up VNC on android ... After all those command lines I'm sure this is a very very nice change xD
    Press Home Screen
    Apps > androidVNCviewer > For Password enter 123123123 (Or whatever you set it to in the previous server setup)
    Scroll to Port and enter 5901
    Change the Color Format if you wish. It runs rather nicely on 24bit color but consumes more cpu cycles.
    Tap Connect -- A Very Pretty LXDE should appear with a working CPU Monitor and everything nice

I know you want to play but we have a little more work to do this next step uses Terminal Emulator as the auto start/config file to boot linux and start and configure tightvncserver
    Press Home
    Open Termial > Menu Key > Preferences > Initial Command > Tap to Edit
    Make Edit look like this

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
    linuxboot
    vncserver -geometry 600x480

Tap OK > Back out of Teminal to home

vncserver -geometry 600x480<--- this is where you change your screen size. you need a minimum of 600x480 to use the synaptic package manager and a few other things. but when i'm surfing the net or other things I prefer 480x320 (The Exact Size of the Optimus S Screen)

Now whenever you want to run linux simply open the Terminal Emulator. Wait 60 seconds for the code to run.
    open androidVNCviewer and click Connect

DONE

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  5. TheRealKTFO

TheRealKTFO Well-Known Member

Can't you guys/gals leave stuff alone? :p

I think the OV, with being rooted and the proggies that have come to be, has more going for it than my first pc...:)

Keep up the good work, and someone get Jerry Scripts arse back here for an update, I'm bored...;)

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews