• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rear speaker suddenly stopped working

KelbornCmd

Lurker
Oct 17, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and wanted to ask about something that I haven't seen in any recent threads.

I've had my Incredible for about four months now, and have been very pleased with it over all. I'm running Android 2.2, and haven't rooted it or installed many apps on it besides some basic stuff (Wikidroid, etc). Every once in awhile, the external/rear speaker will just suddenly stop working. Sometimes this lasts for a couple hours, and sometimes for several days. The time periods between these silences last anywhere from a day to several weeks. And I have no way of predicting when it will begin working again.

Restarting the phone does nothing, nor does fiddling with the volume settings. The smaller front speaker for talking on the phone still works, and I can hear sound if I plug in headphones. So far as I can tell, there is no pattern to this happening. And when the speaker does work, the sound is wonderful.

Does anyone know what causes this? And now I might be able to make it stop happening? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and exchange it for a new one?

Thanks for your help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones