• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Reason to Root?

illusionz

Apr 24, 2010
I can't find another reason to root my phone other than use a LED Flashlight.

I don't really know what I can do with root that is so special that everyone thinks is so amazing.

I don't want custom roms, and I want to be able to get the OTA update naturally.

Can somebody tell me what is worth voiding their warranty so much for?

I don't know what you're talking about, I haven't seen a mention of cityid since I got my phone, I don't know what you guys talk about. Maybe its because I close the app with a task killer.

And idk, I love tinkering with shit, but I don't want my phone to break and have to worry about not returning it.

Upvote 0
If you manage to Brick it id be jealous because it takes Skill to screw up.

Not just any skill. Skill with a capital S. :)

In all honesty, the big ones are removing unwanted programs, over/under clocking and the WiFi tether. ROMs are nice, but as of right now nothing to get too excited over. Wait a while, and when they get better and more mature, they may be worth it to you.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
I can't find another reason to root my phone other than use a LED Flashlight.

I don't really know what I can do with root that is so special that everyone thinks is so amazing.

I don't want custom roms, and I want to be able to get the OTA update naturally.

Can somebody tell me what is worth voiding their warranty so much for?

Then you don't want root. You have answered your own questions, no need for a thread questioning rooting in the root section of a forum. I root because I want full control of my phone, whether it's custom roms or removing/altering something I normally couldn't. And I am patient, I make sure it's reversible, and I research so I can do it right.

Upvote 0
Then you don't want root. You have answered your own questions, no need for a thread questioning rooting in the root section of a forum. I root because I want full control of my phone, whether it's custom roms or removing/altering something I normally couldn't. And I am patient, I make sure it's reversible, and I research so I can do it right.

Actually, there is room for a thread like this.

I just want to find something useful besides stopping myself from getting ota updates.

Upvote 0
I rooted my phone and all I used it for was for the LED light and to remove some pre installed programs. I haven't installed any custom ROMs as of yet as each one has some type of glitch somewhere. For me, as of right now, root isn't that big of a deal. If Froyo gets released, I will download Froyo and give up root and then just reroot when someone figures out how to do it. It all comes down to personal preference. What I would like to learn how to do is Overclock my phone as well as undervilt it. If someone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones