1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reboot From Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dbc603, May 17, 2011.

1. dbc603

dbc603 Lurker

I have been having an issue recently where my D1 will reboot from navigation mode. I am running it in a windshield mount dock, starting navigation through car mode. Then at some point down the road, the phone reboots.

It hasn't always done this, so I'm thinking maybe it's a bug in a Google Maps update...I have the most current version of Google Maps, v5.4.0.

Anybody else seeing this issue? Got a fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast

Sounds like your running out of available RAM and your phone is rebooting due to the low memory. Are you rooted?

3. dbc603

dbc603 Lurker

Not rooted.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Could be heat related but you'd have to monitor temps to verify. Use of the GPS receiver will generate some heat. Using a windshield dock probably doesn't help.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Sounds like it's overheating. froyo introduce a higher cpu clock as stock than eclair had (800 MHz versus 550 MHz) and if you have anything else running that requires cpu power, combined with Nav, it gets hot. Fast. Since you're not rooted, you can't monitor the cpu temp, but I'd bet on it.

I had to downclock my cpu to 600 in order to use Nav at all after getting FroYo, which meant I was 1) rooted, and 2)I had a non stock kernel installed which allowed for easy downxlocking

dbc603 likes this.
  6. dbc603

dbc603 Lurker

Interesting. I suppose it could be heat-related...it didn't do it today, and the weather was cloudy and unseasonably cool.

So I could possibly fix or at least mitigate the issue by rooting?

7. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast

Mine will reboot in nav mode from time to time. Could be the heat or the poor old D1 is having problems keeping up.

8. My D1 rebooted in nav mode in the car holder for the first time 2 days ago. Whenever I am in the car I have it in the holder running the auto nav program. It was cool in the car and the phone was not hot. I will keep track of it when it happens again.

9. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 Android Enthusiast

My old Droid used to do that. One ghetto solution: I placed the dock above my center dash vents, and pointed one of them straight at the phone. Not sure if that was uber effective, but hell, it worked! haha

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews