1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reboot Types

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bikelikemadd, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bikelikemadd

bikelikemadd Lurker

I rooted my evo 4g and I've been looking into all the different types of rebooting, Whats the difference between Reboot, Recovery, Bootloader, and hotboot?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Normal - Does the same thing as turning your phone completely off, then turning it back on.

Recovery - Turns the phone completely off, then reboots it straight in to the recovery menu.

Bootloader - Turns the phone completely off, then reboots it straight in to the bootloader menu.

Hotboot - Basically terminates and restarts all of the basic functions of the phone. In a lot of cases it does what you need/expect from a normal reboot, but not always. The phone will reboot in about 30 seconds and it is a good option to try if it seems as though some apps are hanging and causing your phone to be a bit sluggish.

mikem0269 likes this.
  3. bikelikemadd

bikelikemadd Lurker

Thank you! I googled that and couldn't find it anywhere. Also, is it normal for a rooted phone to get sluggish over a couple of days? Like, my memory when i restart me phone will be around 240M and slowly it'll start going down until eventually its at or below 100M. Any solutions besides rebooting?

4. bikelikemadd

bikelikemadd Lurker

One more question.
    Do you have juice defender or any program like that on your phone? I had it but think it kept turning off my radio completely making me inelligible to receive any texts and stuff, I tried messing with the settings but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to, is there a way to set it up so that you can always receive text messages? Thats all for now, thanks!
    !Matt!

5. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

What Rom are you running, and by memory do you mean internal storage or ram, I think you can go to the manage apps thing in your settings and clear the cache of the apps that are taking up a lot of memory.

6. I think it happens with any phone, rooted or not. Eventually, something hangs, the cache for some app needs clearing, or some process keeps running. You can clear a lot of this up one by one, but sometimes rebooting just gives you a fresh start, more or less. Like I said, the Hotboot option only takes about 30 seconds, which I'm sure you can find every few days.

As for JuiceDefender, no, I do not use it. I did in the past, but I have a few things that need to sync fairly frequently meaning either: A) JuiceDefender doesn't allow data that frequently or B) It isn't worth running JuiceDefender in the first place.

I have heard good things for others, though, so maybe it is worth tracking down your issue.

7. bikelikemadd

bikelikemadd Lurker

Just a stock rom and I have the cache clearing app on my phone. I guess rebooting it doesn't harm anything or hurt to do every couple of days. As for juice defender I looked it up and most websites said it was the best one out there so far or close to it..

8. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

It is but you can get better battery life by flashing a custom kernel or using setcpu. Try out the kernel in my signature it is one of the best ones out and saves a lot of battery life if the screen is off, if you find that most of the time your screen is on try out setcpu and search the threads for a good set up. You can also try a kernel and setcpu side by side, you just need to set them up differently.

9. Droidatar

Droidatar Lurker

I'm going to piggy back of of this old post as it is one of the few that talks about boot types.

I have recently started using Rom Tool Manager and have yet to find details for each of the different types of boots available in the program. If anyone can assist it is greatly appreciated:

reboot
    fast reboot (is this the same as an auto kill app)
    reboot recovery
    reboot bootloader
    power off (ok so his one is a no brainer) :)
    restart system UI

Also I have Fast reboot pro which can perform quick reboots (I believe this is a task manager app).

Would it be better to schedule a regular or fast reboot in tasker or use the Fast reboot pro?

Thanks again for any and all assistance

10. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hello there! Do you have Rom Toolbox or Rom Manager? (I do not recommend Rom Manager for anything)
    reboot....like your computer, shuts down,restarts.
    fast reboot--I believe this shuts off the, for the lack of a better term, running apps etc but not the entire phone (dont quote me on that tho:) )
    reboot recovery....boots the phone into recovery mode, and if you have a custom recovery, you can flash roms, kernels, wipe the phone, wipe parts of the phone, repair parts of the phone etc.
    reboot bootloader..will reboot back into bootloader

Side note--there are 3 different "operating systems" (again, for lack of a better term) on your phone---bootloader, recovery, and your main system--your rom

Power off--yeah, no brainer lol
    restart system UI--not sure

As far as Fast reboot? not familiar with that app but in answer to that and your next question about scheduled shutdowns, I think you will get different opinions about that...I never shutoff my phone...some will say shut it off once a week or so manually for about a minute to clear any wonky stuff (cache etc)

Dont know if I helped at all but I tried :D

Chckycrk, tube517 and ocnbrze like this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews