• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Reboot when removing system apps?

joyeful

Lurker
Dec 20, 2011
Hi all,

Just rooted my Desire using unRevoked, and using the stock ROM. I installed Titanium backup and have been trying to remove some of the HTC apps (like footprints, asphalt, etc.) using Titanium backup. However, the phone just reboots and the apps remain on the phone.

Help, please?

Its because you need to be s-off. If you're not, it deletes the apps only to reboot and restore it. Thats the security feature of s-on.

Read my guide to removing system apps (available in my signature) if you're:

1) Not going s-off
2) Not flashing a different ROM.

Also be aware that if you are not s-off, deleting these system apps will not give you any extra space.

You're better off just freezing apps with titanium if you just want to hide them / stop them working and not interested in saving space.

Upvote 0
As SUroot mentioned, even if you delete system apps you will not get any extra space for your apps. you need to partition your sd card and install a rom with app2sd support. If you want to stay with the stock rom, you could use teppic's rooted stock rom. Or even better would be installing SUroot's dGB rom which will give you loads of free internal memory. But, for that you will need to flash the 60/65 MB hboot for which you need to go s-off.

Upvote 0
Thanks!!! You're so helpful - and your FAQ is fantastic! I've learned a lot already.

I can't seem to figure out (or find) how to make my phone s-off. How is that done?

either alpharev or revolutionary. BUT please read everything there is to read on this site [most up to date!], before you jump in. Its easy but there are consequences if you f**k it up!

Upvote 0
either alpharev or revolutionary. BUT please read everything there is to read on this site [most up to date!], before you jump in. Its easy but there are consequences if you f**k it up!

Oh for sure. I meant I couldn't find the information. Believe me, I'm being careful; I can't afford a new phone right now!!

Thanks for all the advice - this is a great forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones