1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Reboots? Freezing? Slow performance? Might be your SDCard!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by netizenmt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Technical Support
    Mansfield, OH
    When I was setting up my phone with Velocity 0.3, I wanted to have lots of room for apps, so I used an 8 GB SDCard. Everything was running nice and fast, and the performance issues I was having with stock all pretty much disappeared. I was able to overclock and stay stable at 768. All in all, I was very pleased.

However, I read on one of these threads that anything less than a class 6 card could cause issues although some have been using their class 4 4GB card that came with the phone without a problem. Imagine my surprise when I checked my 8 GB and found it was only a class 2! I immediately switched to tmy class 4 card and reflashed everything just as before.

Within a day, I began having problems with apps running slowly, my phone rebooting without warning, or freezing up. I thought maybe it was due to overclocking so I stopped overclocking it, but the problems continued. I tried reflashing, going to Velocity 0.2, everything I could think of to no avail.

On a hunch, I recalled that this all started when I switched the cards and reflashed. I switched back to the class 2 8 GB card, redid everything again and voila!! My problems all went away!!

I've ordered a class 6 which will arrive sometime this week or early next week. In the meantime, at least now I have a stable phone once again.

Hopefully, this info helps someone else struggling with a similar issue.

Advertisement

2. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    Just today I had my phone freeze, reboot and get stuck on the Velocity screen. First time I ever had a problem like this with my phone and it required me to flash a backup ROM. The only thing different between now and then is I'm using apps2sd on a class4 card so if your theory is correct, that might be my problem. I don't think it's a Velocity issue because my phone was fine with Velocity prior to using apps2sd.

3. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Mac tech support
    Memphis

I been having same problems since installing apps2sd of rebooting and freezing.

4. fastyz

fastyz Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Yeah I was having the same issues. I know different cards spec out a little different. Im using a PQI 4GB class 6 and I was still getting freezing and force closes. So I went in and turned off the swap. Everything is running better.

Still better than stock...Thanks Trident

5. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    I wasn't using swap so that's not my problem. I ran into another weird problem last night where my Power Control Widget was all garbled and I could make out anything on it. After the reboot issue I had earlier and then the Power Control problems, I decided to go back to a backup ROM of Velocity where I hadn't moved any apps to the sdcard yet. Then I reformatted the sdcard and I don't plan to move apps to the sdcard again for awhile to see if the phone acts funny anymore. If it doesn't, then I gotta think it's either an apps2sd problem or something wrong with my sdcard.

6. joeymogul

joeymogul Active Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Ok, I'll got buy a higher class card right now, but need to know how to mirror the current SD card. I have 15 or so apps installed using APPS2SD on V3. When performing a backup using RomManager, it gives an error about attempting to mount SD card as ext3 and I don't think it properly backs up that portion of the ROM. Therefore, I'd to somehow get a new SD card, partition it properly (with SWAP too) and put my apps on the new card's EXT3 portion.

Any ideas??

7. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Use my recovery with the + .ext option then copy your nandroid folder over to new card properly partioned card and nandroid restore.

8. joeymogul

joeymogul Active Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Thank you very much. Doing it now. I will order a higher class card now as well. Much appreciated

Tags: