• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reboots repeatedly but can't get into recovery mode

nedsram

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
As my tablet had suddenly started repeatedly crashing then rebooting, I tried clearing the user cache from the system menu. My idea was to see if this fixed the problem, and if not I would then try a factory reset.

The cache clear failed, "error" was briefly displayed, then the tablet rebooted normally, before crashing again and so on. However the next time I tried to get the system menu, what I got instead was the following (paraphrased):

Warning!! A custom OS causes critical problems .... Press volume up to cancel (restart phone) or volume down to continue.

The first time I pressed "volume down" by mistake. I then got "downloading - please wait". Clearly that wasn't going to do anything, so I rebooted, got to the same place and tried "volume up". The tablet rebooted normally, then crashed and so on. I again tried to enter the system menu, but all I can get now is the "Warning!!" screen. Android is still there as it will still boot and displays my usual home screen, but within ten to thirty seconds it will always crash and reboot. Usually it first says that google play services and/or the system monitoring service has crashed.

Is there any way out of this, or is the software permanently broken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones