1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Reccomendations for the best vanilla android smartphone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chukka63, Feb 14, 2014.

1. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    As the title says.I love the N5 but being self employed i need a phone that will allow me to make calls when i want to make them.After the issue with N4 i was hoping they had sorted so i tried the N5.
    So whats the best vanilla android phone out there at the moment and why ?.

Advertisement

2. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

My N5 makes calls, what happened to yours?

I like the N5, second choice would be Moto X.

NYCHitman1 and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    The nexus line is the only vanilla android smartphone. The MotoX is close, but still has modifications.

I haven't had issues with making calls at all on my Nexus 5. From the sounds of it, you took your phone apart. Its entirely possible something got loose or affected.

Rather than move this to the device comparison forum, lets try to troubleshoot. Can you describe your calling issue with the nexus 5, as well as the nexus 4?

I'd also be more inclined to believe its an issue with your carrier, since you're having calling problems on multiple phones.

4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Options for vanilla android are limited. The only real options are Nexus devices or Google Play devices. The Moto X and Moto G are very close to stock, but aren't 100% vanilla android.

la sal and Rxpert83 like this.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Whoops. Forgot about GPE devices. :eek:

Their price point never made them a viable option for me.

6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    I don't even consider GPE devices to be vanilla because they don't use AOSP kernels. They use their OEM counterpart, which makes all the difference in the world :p (plus, they are ridiculously priced)

7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, not to mention only available in North America, though it may only be available in the US.

8. chukka63

None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    The issues i have with 3 N4's and 2 N5's are that even if i have all signal bars showing,at times i can not make a call or text etc and it ends without ringing,several times.I have changed the sim card about 3 times,i've turned the phone off and back on in different ways,i've contacted my provider.
    Yes i did take the back off this phone in desperation to try to find something i could do to make it work.It's the only phone i've ever taken the back off.
    The antenna is pushed onto a small nipple each end if my poor eye sight is correct.Would soldering these ends on make any difference either good or bad ?.
    As i mentioned esrlier i love the vanilla android Nexus phones so if i could get it working like every other make of phone i've had i would be over the moon with it.

9. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    It's odd. Even though it is possible to find other similar complaints using Google (although I seemed to see more complaints that the N5 couldn't receive calls but outgoing calls and texts were fine), this is clearly not a widespread phenomenon. Therefore, the odds of you getting 5 units (4s and 5s) all having the same problem seems astronomical. There has to be something else going on. Unfortunately, and frustratingly (for you, I'm sure) I have no idea what.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  10. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    The odds are indeed incredibly slim. It's more likely related to the carrier, the towers, or the sim card.

Crashdamage and Rxpert83 like this.
  11. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    south central Florida
  12. Wrend

Wrend Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Male
    Private IT Field
    Northern Illinois, USA
    I've heard that some people have had issues making calls (lag after placing the call before the other end starts ringing). Maybe an issue with T-Mobile; maybe not. Maybe an issue with your carrier as well, by the sound of it.

I don't have any connectivity issues at all, so I don't think it's an issue with the Nexus 5.

Vanilla Android? The Nexus 5 is the best off all current phone options, in my opinion. One of those reasons being that it uses vanilla Android. Some more reasons, since you asked for them: Snapdragon 800, 2GB RAM, full 1920

13. chukka63

None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    Well it looks like i've been extremely unlucky,story of my life.
    I have a sure signal box at home,which if you're unfamiliar,supplied by and boosts my carrier signal.I can have the lack of call issues while standing next to it,10' away from it or anywhere else i've been.I can't see it being the sim card as i've tried plenty of new ones,although i have yet another one on it's way.
    I'm going to open the phone back up and solder the antenna connections and if that doesn't work i'll have no choice but to buy a phone i don't really want but works.
    Wifi,downstairs,great,upstairs crap.My wifes wifi great downstairs and upstairs.
    Thx for your input and i wanna get this sorted but don't know what else to try.

14. chukka63

None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk

I love the phone as i mentioned,hence trying to overcome this issue.At the moment i have an expensive clock.
    Most of yesterday i was out and about looking at jobs,half the time i couldn't use my phone and at one point had to use a telephone box.Last time i did that we had B&W TV and stage coaches.

15. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2011
    Just seen you're in norfolk.

Whenever I've been up there i've had terrible reception, signal, texts coming through late, can't make calls etc, the whole lot with four different phones (HTC Magic, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note, and my current Nexus 5) . And I'm on vodafone too. It's the network in my opinion, because as soon as i get back home in kent, my phones work fine.

16. chukka63

None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    But i have a sure signal box which on the last occasion i couldn't make calls was only 6' away from me.I am seriously thinking of changing to O2 but am wary to jump ship and be no better off.
    It also doesn't add up to being Vodafone as my wife is with vodafone and she has never had the same problem with her S3.
    I've inserted the new sim card and been ont he phone to vodafone for an hour trying to check everything out so i will keep an eye on it for a few days.
    My biggest problem is i'm not keen on any of the other handsets i've tried between the N4's and the N5.I've tried the iphone 4s,the nokia something,the sony z1

17. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2011
    That's a strange one then.

Back OT. Nearest you're gonna get to vanilla is the moto x. Better get in there quick though if you fancy one. Stock might be limited since the whole Lenovo takeover. :dontknow:

Tags: