1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Received my car mount - Am I ******ed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gzrecoil, Feb 16, 2011.

1. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member

Is it me or does the car mount have no way to charge the phone through the car? Do Motorola and ATT expect you to also buy a car charger in addition to the $40 car mount? This is f'in ridiculous! I'm no poor man either but WTF are they thinking?

Or am I missing a part that should have came with it?!?!?

I'm also not a genius, but did ATT have their heads that far up their asses when they were coordinating the Atrix launch? It was hell just to even order the car mount since I couldn't do it when I bought the upgrade, AND it wasn't listed on the accessories page. Nor do I remember the car mount saying it required a car charger to charge the phone since the wire they give you is USB.

GO FREAKING FIGURE.

On a side note, the USB wire has a 3.5mm jack and also comes with a 3.5mm male to male to plug into your head units jack.

Advertisement

2. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member

In hindsight I am thinking the phone may come with the car adaptor in the box. Can anyone confirm?

3. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

That's downright crazy, the car dock should come with a charger! Does it at least have a female microusb port on the dock somewhere so we could at least plug a charger into it or it just 3.5mm headphone jack??

I would be very surprised if they included a car charger. I Can't confirm or deny it but I haven't seen a phone include one in a long time.

4. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

Sorry bud, it doesn't look like it comes with a car charger. This is an unboxing of the Atrix on PCMag.com, and it looks like it only has the phone, HDMI cable, home 110 charger/USB charger and some books.

[​IMG]

5. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast

Hmm, since you didn't post actual details of what you received and how they connect, I'll just go on my own sense of reality. I'll assume you received the actual mounting dock (attaches to surface, holds onto phone?) and the cable you speak of connects to that. You say it's usb so I'll say you're going to need something to plug that into. I have a cig. lighter usb adapter I use for my phone, so I'll say you'll need one of those.

Seeing as you DID receive a charger (the usb cable), it does sound a bit odd that the item you purchased did not tell you you needed an adapter to plug it into. You can probably find one of those just about anywhere.

Here's one for $0.48. can probably find one for a little more at your local grocery store's 'home electronics' or 'automotive' aisle.

Amazon.com: 2 Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Dual Plug for iPod MP3 Players Charger - Color White: Cell Phones & Accessories

6. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member

Thanks for the link. I know I can buy one for cheap, but it's the principle. Why make a car only accessory and not have a way to power it by the car. For $40 you'd think they'd have the courtesy.

7. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

Some newer cars come with USB ports built in.

8. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member

9. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

I agree that the phone charging is probably maxed at 1A, which is a good thing really, the higher the amperage the less effective the battery charging and the more wear it causes on the battery.

10. 2005CTS

2005CTS Member

Actually the proposed set up is pretty sweet. It gives just one cable coming down from the charger and has an integrated audio jack. I would much prefer this to the old school style that has both a charging cable and audio cable running down from the dock. This is forward thinking on Motorola's part. Makes the dock much more appealing to me. I am really glad I ordered one. Hopefully I have it in my hands by Saturday or Monday at the latest.

11. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

When i bought the car dock for the original moto droid, I had to buy the car charger as well. its just the way it goes....