• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Received my GPS dongle

At first, I plugged it in without rebooting. I opened the GPS test app and it was seeing some satellites but not locking on. I still had the message that said it was searching for satellites or whatever. I put the Prime down to do something and it automatically started to reboot. I kept my eye on it as I was doing something else and every 30 sec to 1 min it would reboot. When I finally went to grab it I did the GPS test again and this time it was seeing a lot o. f satellites. Now it locked on one. But shortly after it lost it. Probably cuz I was inside. So i moved closer to a window and tried again. It took a little while but it locked on one and Google maps worked good. Tried getting directions to test it out and it was nice to hear that voice loud and clear. I'm sure it would of worked better had I been outside. Just make sure to turn off your Prime before installing. I didn't realize mine was in sleep mode and thought it was off. Pics will come later as i don't have it with me now.

Reactions: davidchsw
Upvote 0
Are you sure that you read the S/N properly? I misread mine the first time that I put it in and it wouldn't take it. Make sure that all your 0's aren't O's and vice versa.

Correct..... This does appear to be a common issue we are seeing across the Internet. It makes you wonder why ASUS chose the letter 'O' especially as it follows a number, quite an easy mistake to make.

Having said that I even had issues registering my serial number using the correct format. For the first couple of days it simply would not register it.
I even sent an email to ASUS Support on the matter and they said they have been receiving a number of messages from Prime owners having similar issues.

So, in short, if it does not work the first time do not worry, simply try again later.

Upvote 0
Not sure but it seems GPS still isn't working.
The first time I tried it I was able to get directions. Yesterday I tried and had problems. I'm able to lock on to a satellite. But when i put in a adress or place in google maps, i just get the message "Looking for directions" or something like that and it just stays there. Then when the screen is about to sleep and i touch it to keep it awake, it stops searching and I have to type in the address all over again. I adjusted the sleep time to 5 min but it kept searching and nothing happened. I don't think its a dangle issue cuz it does lock on a satellite, but not sure if Its Google maps. It only worked one time for me the first time i ever hooked it up.

Upvote 0
What you need to do is 'Reset' your Prime.
Simply insert a paperclip end into the small hole beneath the MicroSD card slot.
Don't worry, it won't delete any of your files.

That should clear up the problem and your Dongle will then start to pick up Satelites.

You sure it won't delete anything? I have no problems locking onto a satellite. It's Google maps that keeps searching and never finds directions.

Upvote 0
You sure it won't delete anything? I have no problems locking onto a satellite. It's Google maps that keeps searching and never finds directions.

Nope, your data and apps will be intact after the reset. I've done it a few times with no problems.

Cold boot also works well. Hold the PWR and down volume at the same time until you see and Android Icon and an icon that says wipe data (or somethng like that, and dont' figure out how to move to that icon :eek: ). Once you see tiny writting in the top left corner you can let go. After you let go the Prime will boot as normal. Not sure how this is different than the reset button and I've only done it once after ICS upgrade but it works.

Upvote 0
18a0bb81-3b3c-584b.jpg

I'd say that mine is working excellent from indoors with the new extension.

Upvote 0
18a0bb81-3b3c-584b.jpg

I'd say that mine is working excellent from indoors with the new extension.

I'm getting readings like that too. Like I said, I don't have a problem locking on to the satellite. Its when I punch in a address in Google maps. It just keeps searching and searching. I even tried selecting one of the nearby businesses Google maps suggested and it did the same thing. The only time it worked was the very first time I tried it. It still took a while (not as long as now) but gave me directions. Funny thing is that was from inside my house. To the poster I quoted, what have your results been? Have you been able to get driving directions?

Upvote 0
If you are trying to get a route through Google maps you have to have WiFi on until you get the route data. If you turned off WiFi and tested your GPS then didn't turn it back on before entering your destination that may be your problem. I've done that on my phone in the past and you are describing the exact same thing I saw on my phone.
I didn't have WiFi on. I guess that must be the reason. I thought it would be like most gps devices where you don't need wifi. I have a mobile broadband device I will try after leaving work today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones