• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Received my Note 5 / Owners thread

Afternoon all.

I received mine at about 11:05 central time. AT&T 64gb, black.

I'm coming from the Nexus 6, previously had the Note 1,2,3. I've got to say, it's good to be back in the Note family!

I was a bit bummed to hear/see that the Note 5 wasn't going to have the removable battery & SD storage, but after spending 9 months with the Nexus, I learned that I could live without it. I'd still prefer to have them, but... :shrugs:

Coming back to the Note is like putting on a pair of gloves that just fits/feels right. The Note just fits my hand perfectly. The Nexus was good, but there were minor things that just bugged me. One, it was just a bit too wide and too long. Another was no LED notification. I absolutely missed the crap out of having an LED notification. lol... I couldn't stand having to pick my phone up to see if I had a message etc... or walk over to my phone and check etc... that blinking light is something I hope never leaves. :)

I'll try to answer any questions anyone may have. I'm setting everything up at the moment. Have a great one! :)

Took deliver of mine on Saturday. Love it.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yas, Yas, Yas. I love it!

Who cares about the removed SD slot and ability to swap batteries.

This phone is smooth and fast!

I now enjoy taking pictures, which I never really enjoyed doing previously. Even coming from a S5
Merged into the existing thread where other lucky people have received their device :D

Reactions: Caesars and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Finally I can retire the Brick of a phone called the Nexus 6!! What a dud. Bought it for the screen size only after the Note 4 stayed with a 5.7 screen. I am sooooo sorry I did. I won't go into ALL the things I hated about that phone (I cursed it daily).

Rather lets talk about my New Note 5!! No sd card, No Ir blaster (that sucks), No battery swapping (see Nexus 6)...Who cares?! This phone is awesome! It truly is the perfect size as stated by many others. The screen is amazing. The colors are so vivid. I use ADW launcher Ex using 5x5 grid and 7 icons in the app dock. Also stretched the screen grid to the limit. Thing looks great! Best screen yet of any phone I've had (Every Note etc.). Though it's obvious its not a 6.0 screen, stretched to it's limit its not far off.

Next having an S pen back is great. Its funny I instinctively popped it out within the first 10 minutes I owned the phone. I haven't had the phone long enough to do much exploring but since I've I still use a Note 3 as my second phone. I don't expect to discover anything ground breaking but I thought I'd chime in.

Soooo glad to be back to Samsung and their bloatware. My only 2 complaints, the phone is very slippery (waiting on my case) and I am experiencing heavy battery drain as others have complained about (cell standby). Cycling the battery so will see how that turns out. Note: Battery drain seems to have slowed down. I'm on my second full charge from phone shut off at total power loss. Good Luck

Upvote 0
I'm very tempted to go to a Note 5 from my nexus 6. The Nexus is so big and stock Android just doesn't take advantage of it enough. And the N6 stretches my limit of large phones by a bit.

I had a Note 1 and 2 I really liked them but touchwiz ended up driving me crazy. I haven't tried a Samsung device since then but from what everyone is saying TW is much better.

Very tempted to pull the trigger on this Note!!

Upvote 0
@lordgreylock

First let me tell you how better my right pinky feels from not propping the N6 on it while one handing it. Mine was also rooted and unlocked. That did really improve the phone. And as someone who always thought bigger would be better. In hindsight that phone is the limit I could deal with. I have big hands.

It was actually funny going to pick up the Note 5 I thought about the days when the smallest possible phone was the best (Razor).

I never had a problem with Touchwiz though I use a non stock launcher which really makes the phone your own. I've now had it at the gym. I do not like headphone jack on the bottom of the phone (minor). Volume is good but not ear shattering (but it gets loud enough) (had to root the N6 just to hear headphones and in call volume). I also LOVE having a dedicated home button AND the back button to the right!!!!! Putting it on the left side like the N6 on a large screen is ridiculous. Your always stretching your thumb to navigate back. OMG that drove me crazy!

It's funny in the quest for screen size it's what you miss going back to 5.7 that matters. Honestly I can't say I notice any real difference after being away from the N6 for a day. Yeah you notice a web page was a a smidgen bigger but you don't feel like you stepped backwards (I don't play games or video). Tall and narrower is better than wide and bulky.

For me there was no choice whether I got this phone. I'm on Big Red and their zero finance pay by the month (does not affect your plan in anyway) deal is a joke (in a good way). Seriously I'll pay it off in 5 payments (didn't want to spend the $700+ all at once)(no prepayment penalty) it's a deal.

Lastly for the moment. The Samsung Smart Switch software makes transferring everything a breeze. And transferring photos via wifi is blazing fast. Also I use Handcent Next sms. Its a great app. I pay the premium plan and you can back up texts and pictures to it from as far back as you have them on your phone (or multiple phones). You can also merge any and all old and new back ups so you have total conversation history. I only bring this up because I backed up and restored conversations from 2011 with 20,000 messages per conversation. Note 5 restored it blazing fast (couple of minutes).

Battery update: I was at 98% (12:42pm) when I first posted. Streamed music for 2 full hours and have used the phone moderately. 7 hours 55 minutes off charge at 53% now. Says I've got 9 hours left. Use: Cell standby 10%, Screen 9%. Decent but not great. Time will tell.

If you were asking me I'd say go pickup the Note 5 (you can return it). I think it will feel refreshing after owning a phone that was supposed to be The One. And turned out to be just a phone.

Good Luck.

I just read this and had to include it.

"The display on this is. Absolutely. Ridiculously. Awesome. It’s not the resolution, which is the same as the Note 4, but everything else, including contrast, color accuracy, and performance in ambient light. Comparing colors from the Note 5 to the Nexus 6 (my previous daily driver) the Samsung phone makes the Google phone look like a heap of garbage." WOW!!!!!

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5-review-the-best-android-phone-th-1726228849

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was just looking up the latest root info for the note 5 and there was a link that said if I had gotten mine to say hi... I received mine on the day the were released at my local verizon store... I also have a Note 4 on T-Mobile that has moved on to my wife... she absolutely loves the Note 4... and I am amazed by the Note 5. Everything that I didn't like about the 4... which wasn't much... is now gone. The S Pen and software work better. The screen is a little better. The construction is amazing... the only drawback is the lack of SD but really we should have everything on the cloud anyways... and 32gb is more than enough for working storage, apps, photos and a truck load of music. I may still go up to the 64gb version and pay the restocking but to do so I have to give up my phone for 4-5 days... hard to let go of this phone once you get your hands on it. I have had a lot of phones and the Note is the best one I have ever owned... and the 5 is the best Note by far.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Was just looking up the latest root info for the note 5 and there was a link that said if I had gotten mine to say hi... I received mine on the day the were released at my local verizon store... I also have a Note 4 on T-Mobile that has moved on to my wife... she absolutely loves the Note 4... and I am amazed by the Note 5. Everything that I didn't like about the 4... which wasn't much... is now gone. The S Pen and software work better. The screen is a little better. The construction is amazing... the only drawback is the lack of SD but really we should have everything on the cloud anyways... and 32gb is more than enough for working storage, apps, photos and a truck load of music. I may still go up to the 64gb version and pay the restocking but to do so I have to give up my phone for 4-5 days... hard to let go of this phone once you get your hands on it. I have had a lot of phones and the Note is the best one I have ever owned... and the 5 is the best Note by far.
Welcome to AF @Steven Claus !!
Glad to have you here! I've merged your thread into the existing thread we have for new owners of the Note 5.
Check out some other comments and hope to see you around:D

Upvote 0
Got mine on Friday...so good to be back in the S family. Came from the M8...I'll miss those speakers, but the quality of life expectations of the functions of a phone were just not there, at all.

I'm using the stylus almost exclusively. That plus swype actually makes using my phone to type and chat a viable option! No more waiting until I get home and to my laptop.

So far, I am very pleased with my new Note 5...other than the really creepy and unacceptable collection and share of information consent you're required to agree to in order to use S Voice, which I won't be.

Upvote 0
Tell us about the battery life!!
Battery life...well let me say this the IPhone 6+ beats the battery life of the Note 5. I got my Note 5 this Saturday and have charged it several times already. Other than that, I love having my Android phone back, and although I had the IPhone 6+ for a year, the battery life is the only thing that it wins at over my Note5.

Upvote 0
Battery life...well let me say this the IPhone 6+ beats the battery life of the Note 5. I got my Note 5 this Saturday and have charged it several times already. Other than that, I love having my Android phone back, and although I had the IPhone 6+ for a year, the battery life is the only thing that it wins at over my Note5.
I'm willing to bet battery life will get better over time,unless you literally spend every waking moment w/the screen on.
A few others had the same experience as you & battery life should improve once you get the phone set-up just so for your use.

Upvote 0
Black 64gb is nice. Especially like that it's Otterbox Defender case is exactly the same thickness and only 3/16 the of an inch wider than the defender on my S4. Quickly got used to the 25% greater weight.
No removable battery is no problem. I have always had a couple of slim Motorola packs that are easily held with the phone.
No sd card slot is no problem either with my Inatek card reader/3-port usb hub.
I find something everyday that I love about this device.

Upvote 0
Got my phone yesterday. Only 32Gb - I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. I love T-Mob's service and specials, and the phone is fantastic. So much to do to "move in". Unfortunately, 32GB seems a bit tight, but I can move my music and pictures to an external something or other and use a Transcend thingie that can accommodate USB, SD, micro SD. I have to say the lack of external storage is going to take some getting used to. T-Mob seems to pack a lot less bloat on the phone than AT&T so that's a plus. I'll have to figure out which Samsung apps I want to use. I generally avoid them, but some of these don't seem so bad on this phone. I've never used S Voice, for example, preferring the Google Now speech recognition. S Finder seems like a good idea so I may give this one a try - I never used that on previous Notes I've owned (3 & 4).

The battery is not something that bothers me unduly. I've bought the Samsung fast charging battery pack so if I ever have to use the phone longer than 12 hours in a given day, I'm set.

My favorite part so far? The S-Pen air command where I can add application shortcuts. I always write appointments in my calendar. Now I can have the calendar application shortcut displayed whenever I pull the pen out. Great improvement over even the Note 4,

Another favorite part is the speed of this phone. Blazingly, gorgeously fast. Downloads, system updates etc. take so little time compared to past Notes. Oh -and the wireless charging is impressive. Not the fastest, but impressive.

I'm a bit paranoid about dropping the phone so I have it in a case. That is unfortunate as the sleek lines of the phone deserve to be enjoyed without an external cover. I have the Black Sapphire model, and fingerprints really show.

Love my new phone.

Upvote 0
Got my phone yesterday. Only 32Gb - I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. I love T-Mob's service and specials, and the phone is fantastic. So much to do to "move in". Unfortunately, 32GB seems a bit tight, but I can move my music and pictures to an external something or other and use a Transcend thingie that can accommodate USB, SD, micro SD. I have to say the lack of external storage is going to take some getting used to. T-Mob seems to pack a lot less bloat on the phone than AT&T so that's a plus. I'll have to figure out which Samsung apps I want to use. I generally avoid them, but some of these don't seem so bad on this phone. I've never used S Voice, for example, preferring the Google Now speech recognition. S Finder seems like a good idea so I may give this one a try - I never used that on previous Notes I've owned (3 & 4).

The battery is not something that bothers me unduly. I've bought the Samsung fast charging battery pack so if I ever have to use the phone longer than 12 hours in a given day, I'm set.

My favorite part so far? The S-Pen air command where I can add application shortcuts. I always write appointments in my calendar. Now I can have the calendar application shortcut displayed whenever I pull the pen out. Great improvement over even the Note 4,

Another favorite part is the speed of this phone. Blazingly, gorgeously fast. Downloads, system updates etc. take so little time compared to past Notes. Oh -and the wireless charging is impressive. Not the fastest, but impressive.

I'm a bit paranoid about dropping the phone so I have it in a case. That is unfortunate as the sleek lines of the phone deserve to be enjoyed without an external cover. I have the Black Sapphire model, and fingerprints really show.

Love my new phone.
Glad to have ya in the Note 5 Community! :thumbsupdroid:
The USB dongles that fit on a keychain (MEENOVA,etc,,,)are quite convenient,about the best we can do sans SD Card slot.
I feel your angst regarding the limited storage.
Have you considered returning the 32 for the 64?
I know it's a bit pricey for the upgrade,but,I sure am glad I went for it.If you plan on keeping the device for say,a year or more,I'd recommend it.If not,I'd say you could manage w/the 32 version in the short term w/o too much,if any,inconvenience.

Upvote 0
Just got the Note 5 outright today. After playing with it for two hours here are the things that I liked and disliked. These are coming from my personal style of use and preference, but I hope they will help you make your decision.

Let start with the dislikes:

1 - No IR Blaster. Someone needs to launch a criminal investigation here.

2 - No pull down of all the Control Toggles. Only way is to swipe right to access more toggles.

3 - No choice between Tab or List view in settings, mine only has List View.

4 - No "Pin to Home Screen" function on Screen-off Memo. Isn't this the whole point? I should be able to pull out the S Pen and quickly write a memo, and next time I turn on the screen the Memo should be right there to remind me of what needs to be done. But instead, I have to "remind" myself to check my reminders in the first place! Seriously design oversight here.

5 - Reduced widget options. I used to love the "Daily View" or whatever it was called in S Planner, to see my meetings on that day etc... But this is gone.

6 - No "Imagine Clip" on S Pen Air Command.

Now for my likes:

1 - Build quality. Best built Note series yet. Feels very premium, nice and solid in the hand. Comfortable to hold

2 - Size. My favorite upgrade from the Note 4. The Note 4 was bulky but the Note 5 slimmed down significantly. Well done Samsung here!

3 - Battery life. From a quick couple of hours of very intensive use I'm seeing a 10 - 15% or so improvement over the Note 5. I'm at 82% and I've already 75 minutes of screen-on time. Initially I was very disappointed with 3,000mAh, but now I think I can accept it.

4 - Smoothness of UI. I necessarily think it's "faster" than the Note 4, but the UI certainly feels smoother and more premium, sort of leaning towards the iPhone. Everything feels silky and very "gentle".

5 - Touchscreen feel. Not sure how to describe this. The Note 5 screen feels harder and smoother compared to the Note 4. The sensation you feel when swiping across it is very pleasurable and upmarket.

6 - Screen quality. While not much noticeable difference from the Note 4. The colours on the Note 5 screen appears more gentle to the eye.

Hopefully these are helpful. I would be interested to hear your likes and dislikes as well.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I got my Note 5 just a few days ago. I almost went with Moto X Pure since I've been happy with Moto X '13 for the last two years, but the labor day promo at Costco ($175 rebate) won me over. I love it so far. The screen is gorgeous, processing power is abundant, and I find myself frequently pull out the stylus for quick notes both on the job and at the school so I believe it was a good investment.

Now for the ugly: Where is the always-listening option for Google Now? I do not like S-Voice and its lack of support for data associated with my Google account, and it just sucks in recognizing the speech.

Upvote 0
I got my Note 5 just a few days ago. I almost went with Moto X Pure since I've been happy with Moto X '13 for the last two years, but the labor day promo at Costco ($175 rebate) won me over. I love it so far. The screen is gorgeous, processing power is abundant, and I find myself frequently pull out the stylus for quick notes both on the job and at the school so I believe it was a good investment.

Now for the ugly: Where is the always-listening option for Google Now? I do not like S-Voice and its lack of support for data associated with my Google account, and it just sucks in recognizing the speech.
This is for the S6-Edge,but,should be similar for the Note 5:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...ny-screen-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S6S6-edge_id70842

Reactions: tomato88
Upvote 0
The fingerprint scanner is certainly nice. I think it's still slightly behind the iPhone but certainly very usable for the purpose of unlocking the phone.

I'm conflicted about whether to use a case or not. I love the way it feels in the hand and if I slap a case on I can no longer enjoy the build quality. However if I drop it then it's highly likely to crack.

Upvote 0
I'm planning on getting a white N5 tomorrow at my local AT&T store. I'm certain that it's the phone I want this year but as the time draws near I find myself liking my N4 even more.

If you're the root/ROM type, stay away from the AT&T & VZW models & stick with what you have, or,get the T-Mobile version off contract for use on AT&T (contact T-Mobile regarding unlocking).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones