1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Received my replacement S4- What all will I lose?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Birde8, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Birde8

Birde8 Guest
    None
    My Galaxy S4, @ 6 months old, kept saying it could not detect the SIM card. ATT removed and restarted it and said all should be good. 2 hours later it did it again. Went back next day, put a NEW SIM card in it, and same thing a few hours later.

They sent me a replacement phone, but since I purchased this phone mainly for the great camera, and I am not tech savvy , what all will I lose when I switch to my new phone?

I know I will lose pictures because the ATT rep that sold it to me said it had an SD card in it, but it does not. But I always download those to my PC, so no big deal there. I would like to take my home screen / screensaver pic and put it back on my phone.

BUT, mainly I need to know if I will lose my contacts? Any downloaded apps?
    ALSO, what do I need to remove (other than the SIM card) to make it safe for my old phone to be sent back to ATT, as far as privacy/ identity etc?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) Contacts saved as Account Contacts are in the cloud. As soon as you put the old gmail address into the new phone, it''ll sync the contacts. Contacts saved to the SIM card will come over with the SIM card.

2) Keep the SD card from the old phone and put it into the new phone.

3) Depending on which launcher you were using, you may be able to save your homescreens and import them into the new phone.

5) After you've gotten everything off the old phone, do a factory reset. Samsung will probably do one also, but it can't hurt to give them a clean phone.

scary alien likes this.
  3. nalbi

nalbi Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2015
    Male
    Hi,
    Regarding the "SIM Card Removed" Error on Galaxy S4

I Had the same problem and already tried every suggested fix on the net, and nothing worked.
    i Even sent it to the dealer, and they told me it's a motherboard problem and needs to be changed, but i wasn't willing to spend 250$
    I almost threw the towel :) till i found a post that recommended removing the two screws above the battery
    and when i removed them the error stopped, even the heating problem went away.
    it's been three days now, and i even tried two different sim cards to try and check if i get the error back.
    so far so good.

Please try it, and i hope it helps

Heights713 and Pugs1957 like this.
  4. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    Please check the date of the message you replied to (Jan 2014). I'm sure they will have got the problem resolved but many people suffer the sim card removed error so your tip is very welcome.

Thanks