1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

receiving forwarded email as a text message/contact list..

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by the_doofus, Dec 15, 2011.

1. the_doofus

the_doofus Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    this may or may not be an unusual question..

ok, there are a couple of situations where i like to get email forwarded to my phone as a text message. the reason i do this, is that i dont like to have my email app polling constantly, i prefer to check it manually - but a couple emails, i like to get as soon as they are sent to me-

so what i've done is gone into my email account settings and set some forwarding rules, which forward these emails to my phone (as text).

now these emails forward fine, but what i'd like to do, is set a particular tone when they arrive, so that i know who they're from, and to differentiate them from other text messages that may come in (without looking)

this means i need to save the sender as a contact, which i did, but obviously there is no phone number for these, just an email address, so i'm saving these contacts, with just an email address.

the thing is, when i go into my sms app to set individual text-tones for contacts, it ignores/doesnt show these contacts, it's as though contacts aren't valid unless they contain at least 1 phone number - hence i can't set a tone for the incoming text from the forwarded email.

this seems strange, because i was able to do this with a 35$ straight talk phone, so surely i can get the same functionality out of my android?

any thoughts/advices appreciated :thinking:

Advertisement

2. the_doofus

the_doofus Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    yikes, no-one has any thoughts on this? i cant be the only one :thinking:

3. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None