• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recent Apps button closes all apps on Galaxy S6

JimV123

Lurker
Aug 30, 2016
After a forced system software update last week, pressing my galaxy s6's Recent Apps button instantly closes all apps and leaves a screen that says "no recently used apps". Previously pressing it would show some tiled thumbnails of recent apps and I could pick and choose which app to switch to or close by selecting a thumbnail. The new instant kill is a clear change in function and i'm wondering how to get the old functionality back. Thanks.

"Forced update" sounds like this came from a carrier (the only people who force updates are some US carriers). So we really need to find someone with the same update (same carrier, same version) to know whether this is a bug with that particular update or something in it that disagreed with your settings. Can you give us a bit more information?

Just to check, you hadn't rooted the phone? Official updates and rooted phones don't usually play well together. And have you enabled the Developer Options menu? There is a setting in there that will cause the phone to terminate each app when you switch to another, so I'm just wondering whether that could have got activated somehow?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones