• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Reception Issues? Concerned about radio signal strength?

Went to the Sprint Store this morning and ended up talking to the store manager since the tech guy was busy with another customer. He verified my phone worked ok just standing there and it actually got a great 4G signal and was VERY responsive.

He said some others had complained from 'up north' where I live (about 5 miles north of the store - Cypress (Houston), TX). He said they were installing LTE in the towers up there working their way south. I said why would my 3G performance suffer if they are installing LTE?? He said they are doing hardware and software mods to install LTE, make some software changes to 3G, and remove the Nextel stuff all at the same time. So that's why a tower could be out of commission for a while. For me that while has been about 3 weeks since I got my new phone.

I was thinking I might find that damn tower near me and stop by sometime when a truck was parked there and go talk to the guy. Might do that...

Its very easy to find towers using opensignal maps.

No guarantees anyone will be there though

Upvote 0
Its very easy to find towers using opensignal maps.

No guarantees anyone will be there though

Another word of caution...I was checking on a nearby tower and a neighbor approached me yelling and screaming, gun in hand.

Rolling up on a tower is not advisable. There is still quite a bot of copper theft going on and carriers typically rent the land the tower is on, so you could be trespassing.

I was fortunate to have sprint identification and clothing.

Upvote 0
Another word of caution...I was checking on a nearby tower and a neighbor approached me yelling and screaming, gun in hand.

Rolling up on a tower is not advisable. There is still quite a bot of copper theft going on and carriers typically rent the land the tower is on, so you could be trespassing.

I was fortunate to have sprint identification and clothing.

That is honestly disturbing.

Upvote 0
Well I finally went in and got an RF test today after I had issues with not being able to send or recieve calls and text for about a 45 minute window yesterday. Full bars, wouldnt send or recieve until after I did a profile update.

Took the phone in rooted, custom recovery, running viper 4g, told them the phone was rooted and I only wanted a test of the hardware.

Phone passed with flying colors.

Still not sure whats causing my phone to seemingly lose track of the network randomly until I do a profile update

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The Sprint signal maps indicate that I am in their "Strongest" signal area. My LTEvo, however, cannot read maps. In my FRAME (no concrete or steel frame) I go from 0-2 bars to roaming. I went outside, and I have 2 bars. This is consistent.

Sprint 'Refreshed' my phone, but nothing changed!

Do I have a defective phone?

Upvote 0
Spoke with 'Technical Support' who told me that tower"s" are being worked on but no estimated time for return to service. The person was VERY helpful, and at least gave me explanation. (also said there were multiple complaints in this area recently.) When I contacted customer support via e-mail, however, the person sent me a message that steel and concrete structures interfere with service despite the fact that I had said that i was in a 'frame house'. [Oh well, I guess they do not always read the incoming messages, and scripts are used to reply whether or not relevant!!]

Seems that the various support services need to get on the same page!

Upvote 0
I have an EVO 4g LTE and it sometimes it goes through and hits full signal (where it should not) then goes to no signal and then full. At either point I'm unable to make out bound calls or send messages. Anyone know about this or point me to somewhere that can help?

I've updated PRL and Profile and rebooted.

The place I'm at usually has a midling signal strength.

I've been told that there is a tower being worked on in my area.

Upvote 0
I have an EVO 4g LTE and it sometimes it goes through and hits full signal (where it should not) then goes to no signal and then full. At either point I'm unable to make out bound calls or send messages. Anyone know about this or point me to somewhere that can help?

I've updated PRL and Profile and rebooted.

The place I'm at usually has a midling signal strength.

I've been told that there is a tower being worked on in my area.

Apparently there are towers being worked on in all of our areas :eek:

Upvote 0
Hi, all-

I've had my EVO LTE for a few weeks and just discovered that in a few rural spots where I get zero cell signal, my family all get two to five bars.

The other phones are a Viper, Galaxy II and iPhone 4Gs.

All are on Sprint.

Google pulls up a few hits for the WiFi antenna, but I haven't seen anything regarding poor cell reception on the EVO LTE.

I'm thinking I need to stop by the Sprint store tomorrow to see about a new phone, but I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has a suggestion or information that I haven't seen.

Best,

Chris

Upvote 0
Also guys, check your back upper panel, my wife recently had trouble with frequent "GPS signal lost" and it turned out her back panel wasn't fully seated. I think there are lots of antennas that can benefit from a nice solidly seated back panel, or maybe also check for lint or other debris blocking the contacts between back panel and the pickups in the phone.

Upvote 0
I ran the Update profile option and Update PRL option, with no change.

Then a Sprint rep suggested I check for HTC software updates, which I did and sure enough there was a 174Mb download available, which I installed.

Then I reran the Update profile option and Update PRL option and both indicated an update had been installed.

But I'm still not getting a signal in this location.

At this point I'm ready to take it the Sprint store so they can test it in an RF box.

I did check the map and it indicates our tower is going to be upgraded in the next 6 months, which I can imagine would help, but I'm still concerned that every other Sprint phone in the family works, but mine....

Upvote 0
I am currently using the og Evo 4g at work in my office which is in a metal building. I am able to use it as a hotspot but it only gets 3g reception which gets slow sometimes.

So with the new Evo 4g LTE I'm just wondering if I would get better reception or worse? Is this all dependent if they have LTE service around LAX where I work?

You will probably get similar results with the evo lte, I have way better service with my evo lte than with my 3vo. So of anything you should see an improvement.

But of course if you are lucky enough to have 4glte in your area then that is something the OG EVO simply can't compete with. I work In a metal building as well.. And me and all of my coworkers(all different carriers) get similar results. Crappy signal. In my area verizon is the best. 4glte everywhere. Sprint is the most reliable In my area. But network speeds aren't as good as verizon. ( no wimax/4glte) But in the building Noone gets good service at all. So bottom line I lt really all depends on your network where you are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones