• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recharging Battery Question - want to make sure I'm not killing my battery

JasonK75

Nov 7, 2009
I know that it used to kill batteries when you would recharge it before it was low and needed to be charged. I also heard it was bad to take an item off of the recharger before it was at 100%. Does any of that hold true with today's batteries, meaning the one that is in the Sprint Hero? Can I recharge it at night if the battery is at 48% and have it not hurt the battery or it's life? Just wondering because I have a charge at work and home and wait till it is in need of charging. That is sort of a pain, I would rather turn the phone off at night and charge it and have a fresh and fast phone in the morning.

Thanks!

As far as I know and I could be wrong about this but here goes:

Today's Li-Ion batteries do not have the same "memory effect" of the batteries of nickel cadnium and nickel metal hydride. Thus charging before full drain or taking off before full charge is not going to adversely effect your battery health.

The one thing that most battery manufacturers suggest is a battery conditioning cycle which is full drain-full charge 4-5 times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones