1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Reclaim some file space from system memory

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Storage space, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Storage space

None
    I have a Galaxy S4 with a large SD card. I put many of my apps onto the SD card and when they update they go back to device storage. This is not a question about that though.

My question is that when I look at Storage on my 16G, about 8G is used by apps, and then there is 6G of "Miscellaneous files". Perhaps 700 mg are files with miscellaneous names, and then there is about 6.2G of "system memory". I have removed apps which I can but I need most of them. Is there anyway to reclaim some of this "System Memory"?

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Unfortunately, you can't remove system apps without rooting (or otherwise installing a custom ROM (version of Android)).

And even then, it's a somewhat dangerous endeavor if you aren't VERY careful about what is removed and have the knowledge and ability to restore/fix your device--something that doesn't often happen, I'm afraid.

Most system apps are integral to the operation of your device or at the very least, have inter-dependencies that aren't always obvious until it's too late.

bistritapcv likes this.
  3. bistritapcv

bistritapcv Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks. What I would really like then I guess (even though I said this item wasn't about it, which it really isn't ;-)) is to be able to force the apps to stay on the SD card and update on the SD card. Seems like people are not sure how to do that though.

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    You're most welcome :).

The other half of the equation is that the app developer must designate that his/her app can/is-able-to be moved to the SD card, so it's not a given that all apps can be moved there.

Tags: