1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

recomendations please

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aardys, Sep 4, 2011.

1. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

my phone is rooted etc and i have leedroid gb on it .
    but i would like a cleaner rom on it , ie no sence etc as i use geo launcher.
    and i dont want stuff like facebook twatter etc , i feel all this kind of stuff is just bogging my phone down, a vanilla android with just the apps i want would be great , not all the bulk , having said all that i do still want an fm radio, and the camera/video to work :D
    and still want to put all apps on the sd card ,
    i tried oxegen , but it said memorry is full right from the start before i even tried to put any apps on :thinking:
    this sorta happened with a few others i tried , i am not really very techy minded when it comes to fiddling with the phone , but i managed to root n rom , so they must be one out there that i can just flash that has what i want thanks chaps :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

The simplest option would be to take the LeeDroid zip file and strip out everything you need and then reflash. Do this by simply opening the Zip file (NOT unzipping) and deleting the apk files you don't need. The zip file reflects the Android directory structure so look out for \System\Apps.

I do that myself. I like the rom and some of the Sense apps (contacts & dialer) but don't use the widgets, launcher or lockscreen due to using GO Launcher and WidgetLocker.

I also get rid of the other stuff like Stocks and Facebook before I flash the zip.

Jase_Bristol, webby62 and aardys like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Actually any of the popular AOSP ROMs should do what you want (CM7, GingerVillain, Oxygen or Redux), though CM7 takes a little more setting up. So if you've had such storage problems installing such ROMs, maybe we need to understand what is causing those, since most people have no such issues.

4. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

that sounds like the way to go then , i just hope i dont delete anything that is needed to make the rom work , :eek:

5. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

i just tried this but cant seem to delete anything , it comes up with a delete error :thinking:
    i didnt unzip etc , i went to system then apps then tried to delete and it says unable to delete :thinking::thinking::thinking:
    what should i be looking for , and am i in the right place .
    thanks for your help :)

6. Hadron

VIP Member

You won't be able to delete apps from /system/apps unless you are S-Off. So there are 3 solutions here:

1) S-Off your phone

2) Do what Gren says: take the ROM zip, remove the unwanted apps from it (without unzipping), then flash the edited zip over your current system. Flashing the ROM will remove everything from system, then just install the things you have left in the zip.

3) Remove apps using adb, as described in SUroot's guide.

You should in any event take a nandroid before starting this, and make sure you know that whatever you remove is safe to delete. Stocks, or the Sense launcher (rosie.apk) are safe. If in doubt, you can try "freezing" the app with Titanium first and see whether anything breaks (if it does, unfreeze and don't remove that one). Since you won't gain any space by deleting system apps (they are in a different storage partition) you may find that freezing is sufficient.

7. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

eer this is what im trying to do but says unexspeceted error cannot delete :thinking:

8. Hadron

VIP Member

Ah, sorry, you mean you went to /system/apps within the zip - teach me to read!

What software are you using to do this?

9. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

windows 7

10. Hadron

VIP Member

I know SUroot has posted the name of an app that can do that in windows. Trying to locate it, but there are a lot of posts to search ;)

It's easy with linux, but that probably doesn't help.

11. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

ah now i gotcha i am now useing zipgenius , and its working , phew :D

12. Hadron

VIP Member

Cool. :)

Be warned, it can become a habit - these days I almost always edit ROMs before flashing!

aardys likes this.
  13. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

lol yes , but my next $64k ? is , when i have done the editing , can i just flash over , or do i have to flash from scratch ,without a wipe ?

14. Hadron

VIP Member

Just flash over.

The reason for a wipe when changing ROMs is that the settings data may be incompatible. But if it's the same ROM there's no problem - removing a few apps won't change that.

15. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

you da man , very many thanks

16. erry

erry Well-Known Member

so could i do the gparted thing and then reflash my rom back over the top- would that then move everything to the extension?- or is a totally different matter- baring in mind that i have used the normal apps 2 sd to move the apps in my current set up

i thought i would
    back up using titanium
    back up APN
    back up with nandroid-
    do the gparted thing

then reflash

would this work?

17. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

You just need to put the partitioned card in if it has a2sd already. If not flash that too. All should be automatic.

Just make sure your hidden sdcard/.android_secure folder is still on the partitioned card

18. erry

erry Well-Known Member

Might attempt it tonite, is it that straight forward on the dgb rom?

Just back up, then partition using gparted?

19. SUroot

dGB doesn't come with a2sd. The entire ethos of dGB is no2ext

Edit. You know you only partition the card once, right?

20. erry

erry Well-Known Member

Ok, yeh, I'm just in dire need of more space for apps

Its the main reason I rooted!

21. SUroot

Well dGB is a bit more advanced. You need s-off to take advantage of it really

22. erry

erry Well-Known Member

I think I got s off when I went through the whole set up video thing though right?!

23. SUroot

did you root with revolutionary?

24. erry

erry Well-Known Member

Certainly did mate

25. SUroot

Yea you're s-off then

erry likes this.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.