• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recommend a phone?

The CDMA Nexii have to wait a little bit behind the GSM Nexii for releases. I would expect the Nexus to still get things faster but HTC update support is really very good.

Plus, there's always the dev community pushing early tastes of new Android revisions.

I think that you still get 14 days to change your mind with Sprint. Try the LTEvo and if it's not for you, switch to the Nexus. :)

Upvote 0
The CDMA Nexii have to wait a little bit behind the GSM Nexii for releases. I would expect the Nexus to still get things faster but HTC update support is really very good.

Plus, there's always the dev community pushing early tastes of new Android revisions.

I think that you still get 14 days to change your mind with Sprint. Try the LTEvo and if it's not for you, switch to the Nexus. :)

Yeah, I'd already planned to take advantage of the 14 day trial period to make sure Sprint worked well in my area, but unfortunately, the other issues would take longer than 14 days. I already know that if I knew for sure the EVO would get updates in a quick, reasonable timeframe, I'd get it in a second. That's the only hang-up I have right now.

Upvote 0
I am running CM9 on my Epic Touch and have had zero issues with it. The EVO 3D hasn't gotten the ICS upgrade yet, but I bet you CM9 is available for it.

Those are just the nightlies, though, right? I'm extremely new to the whole ROM thing, but I was under the impression that those aren't stable versions. Not sure I'd want to put a potentially brick-making ROM on my main phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd already planned to take advantage of the 14 day trial period to make sure Sprint worked well in my area, but unfortunately, the other issues would take longer than 14 days. I already know that if I knew for sure the EVO would get updates in a quick, reasonable timeframe, I'd get it in a second. That's the only hang-up I have right now.

HTC seems to beat everyone at maintenance upgrades, while the Nexus wins for OS revisions.

Tough call, sorry.

Upvote 0
Spoke to sprint and for 15$ less a month from Verizon I will get double minutes and unlimited data!

Question is what phone?

I have 4g in my area too!

I hear the evo lte will not be compatible forget.

I come from droid original ..x...RAZR.
any other rexomeded phones on sprint?

The galaxy s3 looks awsome but ..whens it coming out?

Upvote 0
The Evo LTE (or LTEvo as fans here like to call it) is currently the best confirmed phone on Sprint, but it will be a 3G only device until LTE comes to your area. If you want something more stock Android, you can pick up the Galaxy Nexus but it too is limited to 3G until LTE comes. If you can't wait for LTE, you can always pick up an Epic Touch (the GSII) which has WiMax.

As for the GSIII, no one knows when it's coming to Sprint (only that it will, in some form) or even what its final specs will be. My guess would be summer, maybe July at the earliest but more likely mid to late summer.

Upvote 0
My area is confirmed for lte.

Does that mean as long as I get a 4g sprint phone I get lte?

No, it means that if you buy a Sprint LTE phone, then you will have LTE once it is turned on in your area. If you buy a Sprint 4G phone right now, then you will be using Wi-Max 4G, not LTE, and you will not be able to use LTE once it is live until you upgrade to a LTE phone. Hope that helps you out.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
My area is confirmed for lte.

Does that mean as long as I get a 4g sprint phone I get lte?

No. You need an LTE phone to get 4G LTE; not all of Sprints 4G phones are LTE. Sprint is in a transition phase as they are currently upgrading the entire network.

If you are in one of the "first" or "second round" markets, you're in a great Spot! You will need to get one of Sprints newer 4G phones to take advantage.. one that specifically says "LTE." As of now, you got the LG Viper LTE, HTC EVO LTE, and Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE to choose from. Personally, I like the EVO LTE.

Here is a list of markets getting Sprints network upgrades this year.. but it sounds like you've already found it. Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
If you are in this list, I would highly recommend getting an LTE phone.

Upvote 0
Thank u all.

The evo lte looks sweet.
Kinda wish the galaxy s3 was here

So is this wi -maxx network like an outdated 4g?

I think thats a fair way to describe WiMax... kind of like the Blue-Ray vs. HD DVD war. In this case, LTE won. There will be no more WiMax expansion on Sprint... All of Sprints future expansion will be with 4G LTE.

And yes, the EVO LTE is an impressive device. :thumb:

Upvote 0
I might be switching to sprint from metro pcs. I was wondering if the 4g and 4g lte are decent in central florida, around the lakeland area. Also what phone should I get, I can't decide between the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Samsung galaxy s3.

Keep in mind, you will have to choose ONE... 4G WiMax or 4G LTE. Sprint is phasing out their old 4G (WiMax phones.. there's only a couple left, actually). Since you're in FL, Sprint's LTE is just around the corner. So, I'd probably got with LTE for the long haul.
This should give you an idea about 4G LTE in your area: Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sprint Choices:
Nexus
GS3
EVO LTE

The GS3 looks cool but is it really a phone that will still be capable(ish) in 2 years. I look at the S2 and it already seems dated. I feel like the nexus will be the most capable phone 2 years from now. Until the next release of a Google phone comes out they will probably give it lots of attention. My wife's old nexus is still a very capable phone. A guy at the sprint store liked the EVOLTE, but my experience with the EVO3D has me worried, it took 4 Phones to get one that worked for more than a week.

Opinions? And I may get a Google tablet...root tether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones