• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recommend a Touchpad-friendly router

robin_

Nov 27, 2009
I've had constant wifi problems with my Touchpads and am ready to just replace my router.

I know Android on the Touchpad is renowned for wifi problems but I've run through most of the fixes to no avail, plus several of my other devices have problems too (none as severe) AND while on vacation they connected to the router at the beach house just fine.

So while the Touchpad and it's touchy wifi is part of the problem, the router is also a big part.

Rather than going off of Amazon reviews I'd love to hear from Touchpad owners who can verify that their particular router works with it.

Thanks!

I've had constant wifi problems with my Touchpads and am ready to just replace my router.

I know Android on the Touchpad is renowned for wifi problems but I've run through most of the fixes to no avail, plus several of my other devices have problems too (none as severe) AND while on vacation they connected to the router at the beach house just fine.

So while the Touchpad and it's touchy wifi is part of the problem, the router is also a big part.

Rather than going off of Amazon reviews I'd love to hear from Touchpad owners who can verify that their particular router works with it.

Thanks!

I just bought a Netgear N600 Dual Band router and it works awesome throughout my whole house!

Upvote 0
I love my Netgear N150 (WNR1000), about $40 at Walmart or cheaper on fleeBay. If you feel you need more, then N300 is good too. (I've used my TP on both.)

What do I like? So easy the non-computer savy girl in the cube next to me set it up herself. You plug it in, it checks for a firmware update and updates itself. I used to go the Linksys/Cisco route, but ran into issues and like this one better. My day job is in IT if that makes a difference.

Reactions: robin_
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
wncken said:
Sheesh. I've got an old Netgear g router. No problems here.

why "sheesh"?

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Budget is always an issue, but my primary goal is having one that WORKS. I usually buy from Amazon but am considering best buy so it would be easy to return if it doesn't play nice.

I've done a lot of trouble shooting and tried numerous nightlies. Since it did connect to the router on vacation I know the router is part of the problem.

Upvote 0

Thanks!

I use BUFFALO AirStation High Power N300 Gigabit Wireless Router & AP - WZR-HP-G300NH my touchpad running Cynmod9 works great and good through put.

Upvote 0
why "sheesh"?

Well, I'm always looking for the best deal - within reason. I try to avoid certain brands - probably just my own personal discriminations. But when I find a deal on a brand I like, I get it. I've never had any problems with netgear, so I tend to stick with it. I got a deal on this router several years ago and actually picked another one up about a year ago - nearly free. Now I have a backup.

I could have gotten a faster router for just a little more, but it was a brand I've never trusted, so I stuck with a g router.

Upvote 0
I picked up my usual Cisco router (now Cisco/Linksys) for my brother-in-law at a new Walmart store in his neighborhood, had issues where I couldn't get it to work after 2 hours, returned it and picked up the Netgear N300 and have stuck with Netgear since. This was about 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
I just bought a Netgear N600 Dual Band router and it works awesome throughout my whole house!

Hi Jeffery, i have a Netgear N600 router and have alot of issue with my touchpad. Could you share some configuration with me? like are you using 5G for connecting to connect from touch pad, what security are you using and what channel. Will appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm always looking for the best deal - within reason. I try to avoid certain brands - probably just my own personal discriminations. But when I find a deal on a brand I like, I get it. I've never had any problems with netgear, so I tend to stick with it. I got a deal on this router several years ago and actually picked another one up about a year ago - nearly free. Now I have a backup.

I could have gotten a faster router for just a little more, but it was a brand I've never trusted, so I stuck with a g router.

Ah, ok, I thought you were exasperated with my question and I couldn't figure out why. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Jeffery, i have a Netgear N600 router and have alot of issue with my touchpad. Could you share some configuration with me? like are you using 5G for connecting to connect from touch pad, what security are you using and what channel. Will appreciate your help.

I have the N150, very similar router.

Try:

WPA/WPA2 with TKIP+AES encryption and 54 mb connection speed

Channel 1 or 6 preferred (or one between).

(sorry, this is from memory)

When that works, you can play with the settings.

What rom are you running? (anything remotely recent?) That makes a big difference too.

Upvote 0
I picked up my usual Cisco router (now Cisco/Linksys) for my brother-in-law at a new Walmart store in his neighborhood, had issues where I couldn't get it to work after 2 hours, returned it and picked up the Netgear N300 and have stuck with Netgear since. This was about 2 years ago.

I should have listened to you a week ago.

I got the 300 this afternoon and it hasn't dropped yet. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones