• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Recommendations for a portable auxiliary power source

tamanaco

Feb 3, 2010
I'm looking for a "small and lightweight" auxiliary battery or charger that I can use when I have no access to an AC outlet to preserve the phone's battery charge. A small device that I can connect to the microUSB port of the Captivate with a short USB cable while I watch my movies. Preferably with a built-in rechargeable battery, but would consider a device that can take AA or AAA rechargeables. I know I can get a couple extra phone batteries with a charger for a few $$$ in eBay, but I want something I can take out of my briefcase and in a second connect it to the phone without the inconvenience of having to remove my Amzer Argyle case and the back cover of the phone. I'm afraid I'm going to stretch my phone case out shape by taking it off and putting it on, mess up (loosen) the locking mechanism of the back cover or will end up, somehow, bending the simulated carbon fiber back cover. Not to mention the fear of dumping my coffee on the internals of the phone while it sits with the back exposed on the food tray of a plane/train/bus or on whichever surface I happen to be having my coffee. The icing on the cake would be if this auxiliary power source could also serve as a phone stand.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I 'upgraded' one of my AA battery charger with an USB port.
Basically you just take 4 batteries and put them in series. As long as you use rechargable batteries (not alkaline) its close enough to 5V (4 x 1.2V) . I used it for my PSP/NDS/cellphone over the years when I travel. I use a charger as a case because then I won't need to bring something else to recharge the batteries. Otherwise you can just get something like this from radioshack and solder on a microusb cable.

4 AA Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com

P1090808.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones