• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SOLVED] Recommendations for single-serve coffee maker?

Thanks guys! I'm planning on using ground coffee, which is really perfect, since I already always have on hand my favorite flavors/brands. So I won't be needing pods/cups.

It's still in its box. Maybe today...
Do you grind your own? I have heard that the pods generate better flavor from a finer grind than for drip (not as fine as espresso), but I can't independently confirm that. Good luck with it all.

Upvote 0
Do you grind your own? I have heard that the pods generate better flavor from a finer grind than for drip (not as fine as espresso), but I can't independently confirm that. Good luck with it all.
No, haven't ground my own in years.

I've been using medium grind, medium roast, flavored coffee, and will try it in the single-serve to see how it tastes. I did not know what you just said, so I'm open to experimenting if need be!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I'm planning on using ground coffee, which is really perfect, since I already always have on hand my favorite flavors/brands. So I won't be needing pods/cups.

It's still in its box. Maybe today...

Here a sample today from Costco showing you how cheap the Pods are. Enjoy your new Coffee Maker.
Coffee Costco.jpg

Upvote 0
well my coffee maker allows me to do both, i can make a whole pot full or on the side it has it for a single cup use without having to use a filter.
Yes, I saw some like that in my search, but my current, regular coffee maker, a Cuisinart 10-cup, is barely a year old, so I certainly didn't need to replace that, and I didn't need an additional full-size maker, so I excluded those from my choices.

Upvote 0
Here a sample today from Costco showing you how cheap the Pods are. Enjoy your new Coffee Maker.
View attachment 158434
I've never been to Costco, and don't plan on joining, but those prices look pretty damn good! However, right now I'm planning on sticking with the loose grounds plan, so we'll see. Down the road, well, never say never. I may change my mind and give pods/cups a try.

Reactions: ocnbrze and DonB
Upvote 0
After having our cottage coffee maker quit, my Aunt gave us a free Keriug, I have not done any maintenance to it at all, simple to clean up and have more then plenty of coffee for the cups too, fills up to the rim, with enough space for milk or cream. Still last time used it was forever ago too.. We might get an extra one though.. Everything breaks after long stress on the machines.

Upvote 0
I've never been to Costco, and don't plan on joining, but those prices look pretty damn good! However, right now I'm planning on sticking with the loose grounds plan, so we'll see. Down the road, well, never say never. I may change my mind and give pods/cups a try.

Yeah I'm more of a coffee grounds kind of guy myself :p

Upvote 0
So, it only took FIVE DAYS, but it's all set up and ready to go now! The great thing is it looks like exactly what I wanted--super easy to use (as in "press button to start"), easy to pour water into, reusable basket, etc. The only downside is that despite its 15 ounce (not 14 as stated on Amazon) capacity, it's not tall enough for my latte mugs. Oh well, I'll get over it. :D

BTW, today I also set up my new [landline] phone system! I bought it.....back in February! :eek: Its unopened box sat here by my bed all this time because I was too lazy to do the prep I needed to do first, i.e., listen to all my saved messages on the old one, and write down anything important from them. I finally did that Friday and today was the day! This is an AT&T phone system that claims to have outstanding spam-filtering abilities. We'll see! Right now I've only gotten everything plugged in (the base and its handset, plus two free-standing handsets) so their batteries--which have been sitting since at least February--could get charged. I verified it works as soon as one handset had enough juice to test a call. I'll get to the fancy settings later.

Something really weird happened while I was reviewing the old messages. I'm sure I've posted before about listening to the messages--like two years after coming home from the hospital--from the 24 hours I was on the floor. It was really sad, I mean gut-wrenching, as each relative's voice showed increasing concern and then panic. I remember when I listened to them that one time, there were a bunch of them, easily 14 or 15, and I distinctly remember the last one being my aunt ending with 'we're calling the police.' What's weird? All but two of those had disappeared! The only two that remained were both from my daughter, one on the night I collapsed and one the next morning. Then, where there should've been another dozen or so....nothing....it just skipped to some random other message.And you know what? I'm glad. That was THE main reason I kept procrastinating; I didn't want to live that again. Now I don't have to! :)

Upvote 0
I used it today! The coffee it made was very good. With a little tweaking, I believe it'll get up to great. The coffee was piping hot, just as I like it, and talk about easy! If it was any easier, it would make itself. :D

Its little filter is so cute, like a miniature for a child's play kitchen. :)

I'm really glad I went with the reusable filter version, as there's no waste at all except the coffee grounds themselves, and they're good in compost. Plus, it's roomy enough to allow for adjusting the amount of coffee based on taste preferences. With some experimenting, it'll be fine.

Upvote 0
I got my first Keurig coffee maker back in 2009/2010 for my birthday. The in laws came out and spent the holidays with us , me, my brother n law, father and mother n law , plus the sister n laws went on this c kcup adventure :D we tried every single kcup variety we could get our hands on. Besides the Keurig we also had a regular coffee maker running too. I have a Keurig on the truck I like to mix it up

Upvote 0
I love my Electrolux coffee maker. It didn't cost much, it is simple, easy to use and I like the coffee it makes. Having read the electrolux reviews, I chose an E2CM1 model. It is the only one that boasts a capacity of 12 cups, unlike other brands. No regrets.
Interesting answer in a thread looking for input on single-serve coffee makers. ;)
(FWIW I have a Mr. Coffee 12-cup and to my knowledge they still make it, they are ubiquitous.)

Upvote 0
Didn't I update this thread?! :thinking: I must've posted in some other thread... Anyway, my helper--with no input from me--decided that a nice Keurig would be a lot better. And bought it for me. I hadn't complained or anything about the little one I'd bought, but it was rather limited, and the Keurig is much, much nicer. :D

Upvote 0
Didn't I update this thread?! :thinking: I must've posted in some other thread... Anyway, my helper--with no input from me--decided that a nice Keurig would be a lot better. And bought it for me. I hadn't complained or anything about the little one I'd bought, but it was rather limited, and the Keurig is much, much nicer. :D
Keurig is a much better machine with only cups used for that cup, that is what we had for a spell in the house ^ _ ^ . Downside it's own size though, but it will grow on you :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones