1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Recommendations on apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zenbug, Oct 11, 2014.

1. zenbug

zenbug Lurker

Hi all.

I just got a new HTC One M8 and I see that there are a lot of competing apps on there: Google Chrome vs something called "Internet" (which I assume is HTC's own browser?); Mail vs Gmail, etc.

I take it this is the case because the phone is made by HTC but the OS is made by Google.

My question is, do most people tend to go with the Google versions of these apps? I figured I would, since I have a Google account that would tie in nicely and in most, cases, I assume Google would have built a better version than HTC would.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

With regards to the Mail app I go with the HTC Mail app because it looks better and works better in my opinion.

For Internet I again use the HTC Internet app purely because I'm not a massive fan of Chrome, not much difference really but just a couple of little things that keep me using the Internet app. I don't really use the browser much though.

This is just personal preference.

3. olbriar

olbriar  

Isn't it nice to have choices :) Welcome to AF zenbug. I hope you enjoy these forums and it satisfys your desire to be on the leading edge with your mobile phone.

It's all a personal choice for local apps. I like the google offerings but that's just me. Try one for a while.. try the other. It's what works best for you.

4. zenbug

zenbug Lurker

Thanks guys.

I think I'll use Gmail at least, because it keeps track of my labels and all that, plus I can archive rather than delete, which is what I do on the desktop.

I'm still trying the browsers.

If I have features on apps that I used on iOS, and I'm looking for similar apps for Android, is this the place to ask about that? Should I start a new thread for each request? For example, "Recommendations for a grocery list app that lets me add items using voice"? I have

Thanks for the help.

5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS zenbug ! :party:

Actually,there's a forum here specifically for Q&A regarding apps that are,in general,compatible w/all ANDROID phones:

Android Applications - Android Forums

However,at times,you may have a question that falls into a gray area, regarding a certain app & its tendencies/quirks/etc... w/your phone,in this case,the HTC ONE M8.

Please feel free to post a question here,as far as that goes.
    By all means,don't sweat the small stuff & fire away,no harm in asking questions,regardless of where you post 'em.
    I'd like to think were a friendly crowd w/a relaxed atmosphere,kick off your shoes,if you will. ;)

Once again,WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS ! :)

SolApathy likes this.
  6. ChadWilliam1

ChadWilliam1 Well-Known Member

I use firefox as my browser because it syncs with my laptops, for mail i use both gmail and k9 mail. Opera is another good browser. There is an android forum app if you want.

7. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I've been using Boat Browser but everything else is usually a Goggle app.

8. jtc303

jtc303 Android Enthusiast

I use boat as well and floating boat...if you like music give pocketband a try

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews