• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Recommended 16GB SD card for Evo?

Roymus

Jul 18, 2010
I did a search but didn't come up with specific recommendations for Evo. I'm already bumping up against the 8GB limit for the delivered card, and am wanting to go to 16GB. There are 16GB Kingston Class 4 cards on Amazon for $33, and 16GB Transcend Class 6 cards for $40. Seems like a good idea to get the faster Class 6 card for only $7 extra, but does anyone have any advice as to the recommended card for Evo? Also, what's the best way to copy existing data from the supplied 8GB card to the new 16GB? Thanks as always...

To copy:
Your old 8 GB card will be "A"
The new 16 GB card is "B"

1. Turn phone OFF, remove old card "A" from phone, place in computer slot
2. Insert new card "B" in phone, turn phone ON, and connect the phone to computer via usb
3. Copy ALL the files/folders from "A" to "B"
4. After copy is compete, unmount both "A" and "B" and remove

Good to go!
Let the phone format the card first. That's why you can't just stick both cards in the computer. When you insert the new card in the phone, the phone will format it to what it needs to be.

Upvote 0
I have the Kingston class 4 16gb micro sd card. I have over 1000 songs on it and i have 5 movies on it. It had 14.93gb's of space on it when i put it in my phone. I have had zero problems with it.

In order to transfer all my songs i just made a new folder on my computer and put the stuff from my old card in that folder. Then i put the new card in my phone, hooked the phone up to the computer, and put everything from the new folder i made and put it on my new sd card. Took about 12 mins to transfer 1000+ songs.

I bought mine off of amazon. here's the link.

Amazon.com: Kingston 16 GB Class 4 MicroSD Flash Card with SD Adapter SDC4/16GB: Electronics

Upvote 0
Class 2 is what came with the phone. I had an 8 gig class 4 so I switched. I had it from my TP2 but then I lost the one that came with the phone. I was using it for an extra 8 gig for my digital camera but I lost my camera case with both cards in it a 16 gig and the 7 gig micro. But now I want a 16 for my phone.

QUOTE=broadwayblue;1698412]Just curious, what class is the stock 8gb card that comes with the EVO.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Class 2 is what came with the phone. I had an 8 gig class 4 so I switched. I had it from my TP2 but then I lost the one that came with the phone. I was using it for an extra 8 gig for my digital camera but I lost my camera case with both cards in it a 16 gig and the 7 gig micro. But now I want a 16 for my phone.

QUOTE=broadwayblue;1698412]Just curious, what class is the stock 8gb card that comes with the EVO.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So a Class 4 should be more than sufficient as an upgrade going forward. I saw a deal on a Sandisk 16GB Class 4 for under $30 the other day...might consider that.

Upvote 0
ok, I need someones opinion, I bought a Kingston 16GB microsd HC Class 4 card from amazon. I just spend a bunch of time transferring everything from my old card over to it, and then additional music from my computer onto it (I put the card into my computer, copied it to a new folder, then put the new card into the computer and copied the info from the folder into the new card).

The card works and all my info is there, but when I play music it constantly skips (it never skipped with my stock card). Did I get a faulty card? Is it because of the way I transferred the music? What else would cause the skip? When I moved the files around on the computer it seemed to upload to the card at about 3.5-4 MB/s and it downloaded up in the 10-15MB/s range, so it seems the card should be fast enough to not skip?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones