• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recommended budget laptop for Linux?

ROBOCRIPPLE

Apr 9, 2016
I'm looking for a budget laptop/netbook ($200 or less) which I can install Ubuntu or Linux Mint into with all of the hardware working.

I tried to install Linux in a cheap mini-pc and a tablet, and not everything was working: bluetooth, wifi, touch screen, and even video playback were not working at all. Not to mention my cheap tablet lacks ports, as well.

The reason I want to run Linux is because I just feel safer browsing the web on linux.

I also wanted to run Linux on a low-powered device as my everyday internet-connected device that can also play Youtube videos well. Portable, too. Which is why I'm considering a laptop. I couldn't find any tablet running Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I looked at websites such as System76, but the laptops are far over my budget. The GPD Pocket with Ubuntu may be a good choice, but it's also over my budget.

EDIT: I increased the budget to <$500.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a budget laptop/netbook ($200 or less) which I can install Ubuntu or Linux Mint into with all of the hardware working.

Quite frankly you're not going to find a laptop for <$200. Production of really cheap netbooks like the Asus Eee have all dried up a long time ago, netbooks are no longer manufactured AFAIK. There's second hand of course.

I tried to install Linux in a cheap mini-pc and a tablet, and not everything was working: bluetooth, wifi, touch screen, and even video playback were not working at all. Not to mention my cheap tablet lacks ports, as well.

The reason I want to run Linux is because I just feel safer browsing the web on linux.

I also wanted to run Linux on a low-powered device as my everyday internet-connected device that can also play Youtube videos well. Portable, too. Which is why I'm considering a laptop. I couldn't find any tablet running Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I looked at websites such as System76, but the laptops are far over my budget. The GPD Pocket with Ubuntu may be a good choice, but it's also over my budget.

I've just bought a GPD Pocket
. IMO it's probably about as nearest as you're going to get for what you might want, a Linux laptop with everything working, completely supported, and Ubuntu is pre-installed as well. It is a very small machine though, but does have 2 USBs(1 USB-C) and HDMI out.

You can always browse Ubuntu certified hardware, what they've have tested and is confirmed as working and supported. https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/models/?query=&category=Laptop&level=Any

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
The reason the mini PC had problems was probably due to the Cherry Trail processor architecture. This was Intel's low power processor for mobile platforms. It wasn't very popular and lacks some driver support.

I would have thought Cherry Trail would have been good for Linux support, especially seen as there's many Android tablets using Cherry Trail SoC, which uses a Linux kernel of course. And the GPD Pocket is Cherry Trail(Z8750), and that can come with Ubuntu or Windows.

Upvote 0
In that case, Intel Atom is out of the question. Linux does run on computers with these processors, it's just a pain in the ass because they don't have a standard UEFI or BIOS and the hardware support is limited.

I guess I should increase my budget to about $500. I've seen laptops on Gearbest that have an Intel Celeron processor and are <$500. Would Celeron be good for Linux? That is, would all of the hardware be working?

I was able to boot Ubuntu on my ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus tablet, with most of the hardware working: WiFi, Bluetooth, and even the touch screen. That's because it has an Intel Core-M3 processor. I also booted up PhoenixOS, but the orientation was upside-down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got XUbuntu 18.04 running on an HP Pavilion 10 x2.The only issues are that the touch screen doesn't work and there's no sound.
As Mikedt said, check for Ubuntu Certified hardware as a starting point.
l did have Mint 18.2 running on the little HP pavilion 10 x2 with touchscreen and no sound,but an update killed the touchscreen.

20 July update - Touchscreen now working following kernel update. Not holding my breath for sound though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones