• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recommended Case For LG Optimus Elite

jamoosh

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
Hi forum,

I am looking for a case that provides a superior level of protection and feels good in my hands.
In the past I have used Otterbox and Body Glove cases for previous phones, which I liked quite a bit. I have found nothing comparable for the LG Optimus Elite.
I have tried the following cases, which were not to my satisfaction.
Amazon.com: Amzer AMZ94281 Shellster Shell Case Cover Holster with Kickstand for LG Optimus Elite LS696/VM696 - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
This did not provide satisfactory protection to the outside edges of the phone. Otherwise, it was okay.
Amazon.com: BW Soft Sleeve Gel Cover Skin Case for Virgin Mobile, Sprint LG Optimus Elite LS696 + Fitted Screen Protector -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
This one has a nice rubbery feel, but when you slide to the edges of the screen the case lifts off and it is too easy all around for it to come off of the phone, as it does not fit snugly at all.
I'm just curious what others are using and/or suggest.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

I've got the Ballistic case and I think it's very well made. It fits very snug, it won't come off or slide around on it's own but is not difficult to remove if you need to pull the battery. The buttons work well and all the cutouts are perfectly sized for fitting the plugs into it. I got it on amazon.com for a few dollars cheaper than the trident, which is also a very good case.

Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0
I've got the trident case, as well. I paid somewhere around $25 for it, and feel that was a bit too much for what it is. It fits well. The hard plastic and rubber surrounds all the edges, except the bottom 2 corners. On those corners, there's only think rubber for protection. I feel the case would protect the phone from falls as high as it would be for normal use (as high as my ear). Any higher than that seems like it could break if it landed on one of the bottom corners. I wouldn't trust the trident case to keep from breaking the phone if I were to stand on it.

Upvote 0
you guys are spending a lot on cases for a 75 - 100 dollar phone.

I got my Trident case for a good deal. It was only $15 when I bought it. It went up in price shortly after I bought it. Glad I nabbed it when I did. My wife dropped hers (with no case) shortly after we bought them. It is cracked from top to bottom. Still works, but that would drive me nuts to look at.

Upvote 0
We're spending money to protect a phone. The cost of the phone is irrelevant if you don't have to buy a replacement because you broke it.

point is phones at this price are basically considered throw aways. If you break it 6 months after purchasing you'd be better off using the 30 or 40 dollars you wasted on a case to have towards a new model. If you were really unlucky and broke it right away there are plenty of excuses you can make up to get a replacement.

Upvote 0
I spent $150 for my phone before the price went down,and $20 on a Ballistic case that's less than 15% of the price of the phone and it saves me the hassle of replacing a broken phone.

Ironically though, I dropped the phone twice before I got the case, prompting the purchase, and haven't dropped it since. In the last week I haven't even been using the case since it bulks up the phone quite a bit. If I had it to do over again I would probably just get a silicone sleeve for grip.

Sometimes people buy inexpensive phones because they don't have a lot of money to throw around, and paying less than $30 for protection is a big difference to paying more than $70 to replace a broken phone. Sometimes, people just like to accessorize.

Upvote 0
I spent $150 for my phone before the price went down,and $20 on a Ballistic case that's less than 15% of the price of the phone and it saves me the hassle of replacing a broken phone.

Ironically though, I dropped the phone twice before I got the case, prompting the purchase, and haven't dropped it since. In the last week I haven't even been using the case since it bulks up the phone quite a bit. If I had it to do over again I would probably just get a silicone sleeve for grip.

Sometimes people buy inexpensive phones because they don't have a lot of money to throw around, and paying less than $30 for protection is a big difference to paying more than $70 to replace a broken phone. Sometimes, people just like to accessorize.

Exactly. I also bought the phone before the price went down, back in July.

Upvote 0
If you go to Radio Shack (in any state) and tell them you have an LG Optimus Elite, they will be glad to sell you a generic case for it. My sister bought a clear rubber case for the phone. It cost her around 2.50 for the case. It fits perfectly, goes completely around the sides, and is pretty thick (for a case that is). It is textured on the back so it provides an extra layer of grip for you. Its a perfect case, but its clear. There is NO design or pattern on it.

Just a thought to save you some money.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the tip!
I'd have thought RS would have huge mark-up on cases. That's real good to know. Do you know if they usually have in stock cheapy cases for most of the pre-paid smartphones?

If you go to Radio Shack (in any state) and tell them you have an LG Optimus Elite, they will be glad to sell you a generic case for it. My sister bought a clear rubber case for the phone. It cost her around 2.50 for the case. It fits perfectly, goes completely around the sides, and is pretty thick (for a case that is). It is textured on the back so it provides an extra layer of grip for you. Its a perfect case, but its clear. There is NO design or pattern on it.

Just a thought to save you some money.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the tip!
I'd have thought RS would have huge mark-up on cases. That's real good to know. Do you know if they usually have in stock cheapy cases for most of the pre-paid smartphones?

I never would have guessed that either! I usually avoid Radio Shack like the plague. They are so over priced on almost everything. Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the tip!

It really depends on when you are looking. I've seen clearance cases there for $2 - $3, but I also saw a TPU case for the Elite at $19.99, which I had ordered from Amazon for about $4.

If you need a case right away, Radio Shack seems to carry a variety for prepaid phones, but I usually hit Amazon or eBay for the best selection and prices. There are literally thousands of cases to choose from for the Elite (and most other phones too).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones