• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help recommended firmware for my galaxy

koveitan

Lurker
Sep 12, 2009
Hi Everyone :)
i have a galaxy and i updated my firmware to I5
but i have random reboots.
i updated it since my previous firmware caused the galaxy to shut off.
is there a firmware that do not have these problems ? (reboots and shutdowns)
i am willing to sacrifice my battery life but get a stable phone.
:)

Hi Everyone :)
i have a galaxy and i updated my firmware to I5
but i have random reboots.
i updated it since my previous firmware caused the galaxy to shut off.
is there a firmware that do not have these problems ? (reboots and shutdowns)
i am willing to sacrifice my battery life but get a stable phone.
:)

Have you done a factory reset? I haven't experienced any reboots or shutdowns on I5.

Upvote 0
If you used Odin, or your apps weren't wiped after the update, then do a factory reset.

Its suposed to be able to upgrade in place, but if you upgraded from a pretty old version like G or H4 you'll get wierd crashes sometimes.

RE the reboots, these seem to happen alot if android can't get your location for a long time. The widgets etc seem to keep trying. So make sure you have the option to get location by mobile on, or remove any location specific widgets. And of course make sure you have a data connection so that it can grab the location.

II5 is the best one for reboots/shutdowns. All the rest are worse :(

Upvote 0
RE the reboots, these seem to happen alot if android can't get your location for a long time. The widgets etc seem to keep trying. So make sure you have the option to get location by mobile on, or remove any location specific widgets. And of course make sure you have a data connection so that it can grab the location.:(
I had to shut that off as it would place me (unfailingly) in Ealing if it couldn't get a great GPS lock. I live up in Sheffield :rolleyes:
I am having trouble with beautiful widgets though - it repeatedly tries and tries to get a GPS lock in a building where it really isn't possible. Murdering my battery life (which was very good) :(

Upvote 0
OK thanks i just reflashed II5 wiped all the data and installed only the facebook widget i hope it will be better :)
up until now i had random reboots, which get worse if i enable the GPS/location.
i hope samsung will release a firmware that works since we have a good phone but crippled software.

Upvote 0
Wow thats wierd. I bet your local tower uses the same lower nibbles for the location area identifier as ealing. What network is it out of interest?

If you run a adb logcat you'll see it trying and trying and loads of retries. It must have a memory leak or something which then causes a major process to panic and the whole OS to reboot. I can't seem to find a fix for it.

The only thing you can do to reduce the reboots for now is to live with 'ealing' or turn of every location based thing you can find - that you can't schedule :(

Upvote 0
Wow thats wierd. I bet your local tower uses the same lower nibbles for the location area identifier as ealing. What network is it out of interest?

If you run a adb logcat you'll see it trying and trying and loads of retries. It must have a memory leak or something which then causes a major process to panic and the whole OS to reboot. I can't seem to find a fix for it.

The only thing you can do to reduce the reboots for now is to live with 'ealing' or turn of every location based thing you can find - that you can't schedule :(
ealing and sheffield are no where near eachother. were talking 100's of miles i think

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones