• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recommended steps to transfer data from one Android handheld to the 4G LTE

I have been trying to connect via blutooth connection to my old evo 3d and although they find each other, my LTE tell me some fields may not ransfer due to lack of full bluetooth support. What is that all about and are there some setting that I can change to make this work? It doesn't make since that a utility that HTC provides to share documents etc. won't even work between their own phones.. Anyone else having a similar issue. Any tips?

Upvote 0
I had the same issue but I don't even know what the extra data field(s) are.

Go to app People on your EVO 3D
Touch the menu softkey
choose import/export
export to sdcard
choose Phone account
confirm export
note filename. (something long ending in .vcf)

Plug it in to your cpu as disk drive and copy the vcf file to your computer
Unplug 3D(safe removal), plug in LTEvo as disk drive.
Copy file from computer to LTEvo.
Unplug LTEvo(safe removal), open People app.
Touch menu, select Manage contacts
Select Import/Export contacts
Import from phone storage.

You can also email yourself with the vcf file as an attachment. Download it on your LTEvo and import from phone storage. It should search for the file.

Upvote 0
Right, your app market is now google play, and your google play account is connected to gmail, and the gmail account is connected to your phone. So all of the apps will be there in a list when you change between devices. However, I'm still not sure if it will automatically download all of the previous apps when you switch to an entirely new model.
In my case, the answer was "no". I had to manually download all of the apps I already have on my OG Evo.

Upvote 0
In my case, the answer was "no". I had to manually download all of the apps I already have on my OG Evo.

That's odd, as long as you were using the same google account info. they should have downloaded automatically. That's worked for me on each phone/device since I started using android devices.

Actually now that I think about it, this time there were 2-3 apps I had to manually download, not sure why but I didn't really think much of it since it was only a few.

Upvote 0
You can also try Mybackup Pro or Titanium backup (I have both and personally I am much more fond of Mybackup since it has all the same features but it's more user friendly).

I will second using MyBackup Pro. I actually used it to transfer all my data and apps from my OG EVO to my LTEvo and it worked flawlessly. It restored everything, including all my text messages, phone call log/history, contacts (AND their associated photos), plus all my apps. Note it did NOT restore some things that are not allowed to backup such as "keys" to make an app the "pro" version, but they were available to me to download as soon as I logged into Google Play.

The only other thing I'll mention is if you're like me and got a few freebie apps from Amazon, then you'll also have to download the Amazon App Store. It is NOT in the Google Play store, so you will have to download it directly from Amazon: Install Amazon

Reactions: dubbyak
Upvote 0

This is true. It will add all the apps to your "My Apps" list in Google Play, but you WILL have to download and install them all again. I imagine this is because you have to accept all the permissions before it can be installed on your phone. I certainly wouldn't want the most recent version of an app auto-install on my phone without me being able to see if there are any changes from the time I installed it previously, so I'm glad it makes you download all over again. It just makes it easy by listing everything you've ever downloaded in one place so you don't have to search for it.

Upvote 0
I will second using MyBackup Pro. I actually used it to transfer all my data and apps from my OG EVO to my LTEvo and it worked flawlessly. It restored everything, including all my text messages, phone call log/history, contacts (AND their associated photos), plus all my apps. Note it did NOT restore some things that are not allowed to backup such as "keys" to make an app the "pro" version, but they were available to me to download as soon as I logged into Google Play.

The only other thing I'll mention is if you're like me and got a few freebie apps from Amazon, then you'll also have to download the Amazon App Store. It is NOT in the Google Play store, so you will have to download it directly from Amazon: Install Amazon

Upvote 0
This is true. It will add all the apps to your "My Apps" list in Google Play, but you WILL have to download and install them all again. I imagine this is because you have to accept all the permissions before it can be installed on your phone. I certainly wouldn't want the most recent version of an app auto-install on my phone without me being able to see if there are any changes from the time I installed it previously, so I'm glad it makes you download all over again. It just makes it easy by listing everything you've ever downloaded in one place so you don't have to search for it.

You have a valid point, but my apps started auto-downloading once my phone was activated and had a connection, I didn't have to accept permissions for any of my previous apps on the new phone.

Upvote 0
How can I transfer the [free] information (apps and Data) that I had on my rooted EVO 4G's card to my new LTE? The LTE is not rooted (yet).

smitty,

Create a folder on your laptop or PC, connect the data cable to the old Evo, move the files over (all at once) to that folder.

Connect the new Evo and copy back to the new microSD card on the new Evo.

That should be all you need to do. It will preserve the file structure and should cause no problems. This is exactly what I did as the BB store couldn't copy the files over (they didn't have the profile for the new Evo).

Upvote 0
smitty,

Create a folder on your laptop or PC, connect the data cable to the old Evo, move the files over (all at once) to that folder.

Connect the new Evo and copy back to the new microSD card on the new Evo.

That should be all you need to do. It will preserve the file structure and should cause no problems. This is exactly what I did as the BB store couldn't copy the files over (they didn't have the profile for the new Evo).

Does this also copy over app data such as songs tagged using Shazzam?

Upvote 0
Does this also copy over app data such as songs tagged using Shazzam?

Anything that is stored on the "old" MicroSD card would be transferred over so if that stored data is there yes :)

I know there's an app for backing up and saving app data but i've never used it as my entertainment platform is my tablet. Let me see if I can find that app.

On Edit:

mms, check this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.nicky.AppBackupReinstall&hl=en

This might be just what you're looking for.

Reactions: mms1946
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sprint placed my [partitioned] micro-SD card from my EVO 4G into the EVO LTE. I am able to see all of my photos, but data for other apps do not seem to appear. For example, I downloaded the app Notes from the market, but the data do not appear (or I do not know how to get them from the card to the app!)

Any thoughts and help appreciated!

Is the partitioned card the problem? Should I merely get a new card and download all the files and folder?

Upvote 0
Sprint placed my [partitioned] micro-SD card from my EVO 4G into the EVO LTE. I am able to see all of my photos, but data for other apps do not seem to appear. For example, I downloaded the app Notes from the market, but the data do not appear (or I do not know how to get them from the card to the app!)

Is the partitioned card the problem? Should I merely get a new card and download all the files and folder?

Yes, download it to your pc/laptop AS IS. Don't modify the directory structure or do anything other than create a top level folder.

When it's time to move that data back onto the new card open the folder select the top level folder IN that folder, hit CTRL-A to select all and right click to select COPY. Go to the SD card, right click, select PASTE into the card, not a specific folder at all. Preserve the directory structure and it should all copy over without a problem.

Let me know if it works.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
^^Not 100% correct, sorry.

The confusion is on an extended storage phone like the LTEvo, the physical sd card isn't located at /sdcard, it's located at /sdcard2 as well as its other shortcut, /sdcard/ext_sd.

You can change physical sd cards until the cows come home and not solve the problem.

Use EStrongs File Explorer. Select and copy folders in /sdcard2 (the physical sd card) and paste into /sdcard (a partition of the extended phone storage).

Android always needs a place called /sdcard and just because in the past that was an actual sd card, there's no reason that it has to be. Please see our faq for filesystem details. ;) :)

By the way, the internal /sdcard partition won't show up using a usb cable.

Try the on-phone method with EStrongs as I suggested.

To get to the internal /sdcard partition on your PC, I use SwiFTP via wifi - things like AirDroid are also effective.

PS - don't copy the LOST.DIR folder between cards or partitions.

Upvote 0
^^Not 100% correct, sorry.

The confusion is on an extended storage phone like the LTEvo, the physical sd card isn't located at /sdcard, it's located at /sdcard2 as well as its other shortcut, /sdcard/ext_sd.

You can change physical sd cards until the cows come home and not solve the problem.

Use EStrongs File Explorer. Select and copy folders in /sdcard2 (the physical sd card) and paste into /sdcard (a partition of the extended phone storage).

Android always needs a place called /sdcard and just because in the past that was an actual sd card, there's no reason that it has to be. Please see our faq for filesystem details. ;) :)

By the way, the internal /sdcard partition won't show up using a usb cable.

Try the on-phone method with EStrongs as I suggested.

To get to the internal /sdcard partition on your PC, I use SwiFTP via wifi - things like AirDroid are also effective.

PS - don't copy the LOST.DIR folder between cards or partitions.

He seemed to be referring to simply copying the data from the old card to the new one which is exactly what I did with no problems. He didn't mention anything about the internal sdcard storage which, of course, would be better served with a specific app for that task.

As for the LOST.DIR you can copy that directory over. Just empty it. Simply having the directory present will not cause a problem.

Upvote 0

Because the internal storage is identified as the "SD" and not the external card, I'd just simply transfer all the app related folders that were created on your external SD.

Since the original EVO did not have "additional" internal storage, it always identified the external SD card as the "SD." LTEvo has the 16gb of internal storage (partitioned), so it will always identify the "SD" as the internal storage that's partitioned separately from the app storage. It's almost exactly the same on the Photon, so I'm very familiar with this.

If you use ASTRO or any of the file explorer apps, you can just cut and paste those app folders that are on your external SD into your internal storage and it should identify things you had saved from your original EVO (of course, this is assuming that there weren't any "device specific" settings that won't work properly with LTEvo).

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
One thing I did was first copy my EVO3D card to the computer.
After installing most all my apps, I started to check things out. My biggest concern was for Copilot Truck. At first I couln't figure out how to restore my saved places. I wasn't about to manually retype in all them address for the stops I run for Pa, WV and Oh.
I did locate the directory structure for Copilot and then using Airdroid checked out where it was installed on the internal memory.
Luckily I was able to make a new folder of the same name then copy the file for all 3 states. My places showed back up.
Airdroid was a life saver.
One advantage using a program like Airdroid is that you don't have to unmout the SD card and continue to go through the the phone and apps to see what you need.

Paul
still double checking my other apps and all.
I'll be testing Copilot Truck tonight on the road to make sure it is intact.

Upvote 0
One thing I did was first copy my EVO3D card to the computer.
After installing most all my apps, I started to check things out. My biggest concern was for Copilot Truck. At first I couln't figure out how to restore my saved places. I wasn't about to manually retype in all them address for the stops I run for Pa, WV and Oh.
I did locate the directory structure for Copilot and then using Airdroid checked out where it was installed on the internal memory.
Luckily I was able to make a new folder of the same name then copy the file for all 3 states. My places showed back up.
Airdroid was a life saver.
One advantage using a program like Airdroid is that you don't have to unmout the SD card and continue to go through the the phone and apps to see what you need.

Paul
still double checking my other apps and all.
I'll be testing Copilot Truck tonight on the road to make sure it is intact.

Airdroid is pretty awesome for accessing the internal storage (e.g. "SD"). I just discovered that app a couple months ago, but I've used it so many times since.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Galaxy S 2 and i wanna transfer my apps with the data my phone is not rooted is there a way to transfer the apps with data so that i do not lose all i have done with these apps.
I don't wanna start from scratch all over again, I can transfer my txt and pics with no problem so if ya know of an app let me know

Upvote 0
He seemed to be referring to simply copying the data from the old card to the new one which is exactly what I did with no problems. He didn't mention anything about the internal sdcard storage which, of course, would be better served with a specific app for that task.

As for the LOST.DIR you can copy that directory over. Just empty it. Simply having the directory present will not cause a problem.

No.

He is trying to get his apps to access /sdcard data and on this phone, it has zero to do with the external sd card as it did before.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Galaxy S 2 and i wanna transfer my apps with the data my phone is not rooted is there a way to transfer the apps with data so that i do not lose all i have done with these apps.
I don't wanna start from scratch all over again, I can transfer my txt and pics with no problem so if ya know of an app let me know

Try MyBackup Pro, it's your best bet.

See my post earlier on getting the backup to the internal /sdcard partition using a wifi related app on the Evo LTE, then restore from there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones