1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Recommending Go Launcher (was "New Launcher!" and "Go Sms"))

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Dec 17, 2010.

1. sparky07

sparky07 Well-Known Member

Can you use home switcher with this? I want to try it, but want to be able to switch back and forth for now. From all the reviews it seems very promising

Advertisement

2. k0smo86

k0smo86 Android Enthusiast

Anyone know if you can get bigger then 5x5 grid with Go Launcher?

3. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

Yes, Home switcher will let you switch back and forth.

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!

Go Launcher also has a built in switcher in,

Preferences/Advanced/Exit Go Launcher

For exiting and freeing the app memory.

GMB

5. Greavous

Greavous Android Enthusiast

sounds like we need a running list of full screen widgets that are useful. Ill be installing this in the morning. Too bad I just got done getting back to normal after updating Apex a few days ago. Thanks for the heads up OP

6. jbhumph

jbhumph Android Enthusiast

The more I use GoLauncher, the more I'm liking it. I am on the newest Apex as well and it's niiiiice!! I just downloaded LPP on my girl's fascinate for her a few days ago and now I want to update her to Go as well. She thinks I'm playing with her phone though and doesn't understand that I think it would be easier for her. Silly women :p

Seriously though I really am enjoying the easy customizations on this!!

And whoever asked for the grid size, 5x5 is the largest I currently see available

7. sparky07

sparky07 Well-Known Member

I remember removing everything off the blur screens. I think the consensus was that the widgets would be still running in the background if you didn't. If that's the case, do you need to remove all the widgets from LPP? I want to keep LPP too. You never know when Fed is gonna come up with something better:)

8. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Android Enthusiast

Ok my only gripe is that you can only make app shortcuts in the dock and nothing else.

9. Steven58

Steven58 Recognized Incompetent Moderator
    Moderator Thread Starter

I installed custom icons (Lekky's Tall Min). When I rebooted they were gone. I heard back from the dev that if the iconis too large it won't work. I don't know why Tall Min works in LPP but not Go Launcher. Oh well. We all have to start somewhere.

10. 32str8

32str8 Lurker

A manual would be nice. Trying to put a dock background like Launcherpro's FROYO wide. Anyone know what Dock Switch in the dock settings does?

11. ricksievers

ricksievers Android Enthusiast

When it works as good as Launcher Pro, I'll try it again. Nothing on this launcher is better than Launcher Pro. Will wait and see.

12. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast

I have not used nothing but the stock launcher if i try a differant one can you switch back and forth and how.

13. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!

Manually you go into,

Menu/Settings/Applications/ManageApplications/(HomeReplacementApp)

And "Clear Defaults" Then the next time you press the home button you will be asked which Home to use as default. Also anytime you add or remove a Home Replacement it will ask you again which you want as default. There are also a few "Home Switcher" apps you can use to do this. Personally I use ClearDefaultHome by TeslaCoil the creator of WidgetLocker

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]Home Switcher for Froyo
    by ymst
    50,000 downloads, 375 ratings (4.5 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]ClearDefaultHome
    by TeslaCoil Software
    10,000 downloads, 211 ratings (4.4 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]Home Manager
    by carp
    10,000 downloads, 329 ratings (4.4 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

GMB

Rick2179 likes this.
  14. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

I've edited my OP. Check it out.

Steven

15. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert

I thought I was GO for Go Launcher, but the lack of good calendar widget has forced me to go back to LPP. GL is fast and if they give me a decent calendar I'll be back for another try.

16. Greavous

Greavous Android Enthusiast

^ open your wallet, they are out there

17. 32str8

32str8 Lurker

Used ADW launcher, switched to Launcherpro+ for the dock swiping gestures but really missed the home screen swiping gestures of ADW. I asked Fede and he stated that it would never be instituted in Launcherpro+ because he felt it interfered with scrollable widgets. I don't understand his reasoning but I commend him for responding so quickly. Go Launcher allows me to have my dock gestures and screen gestures. So what is keeping me from completely switching to Go Launcher.

Go Launcher advantages
    1. Best of the bunch for quickly and easily placing and changing icons on the home screen. Allows for preferences, folders, wallpapers, widgets, shortcuts, replace, rename, delete and uninstall with a simple longpress and select feature.
    2. Tabbed app draw for All, Recent and running can also work as an app killer.
    3. Easily setup folders by dragging and dropping in the app drawer.
    4. (Important features)
    5. Excellent home screen pages organizer with up to 30 home screens!!!
    6. App drawer sorting options also customizable with drag and drop sorting!
    7. Slightly more intuitive preferences section (personal option)
    8. Shows more icons in app drawer in portrait view even thought they are both set to 5

LauncherPro+ advantages (LauncherPro is free and does not have widgets or pop up gestures)
    1. Can launch application shortcuts from the dock icon and dock gesture. Go Launcher can only launch programs
    2. Customizable shortcuts (launcherpro allows you to make your own, nice touch)
    3. Activities support (you can use Launcherpro’s activities with Go Launcher if you have them both installed)
    4. Nice Widgets : people, bookmarks, calendar, messaging, twitter, facebook, friends (I use third party widgets but Fede has made some very nice widgets that a lot of people like)
    5. popup dock gestures for missed calls, unread SMS, bookmarks, recent apps
    6. Looping homescreens
    7. More Dock backgrounds
    8. Bigger selection Dock icons
    9. Notification icon of phone, sms, email seems to work quicker/better and is more esthetically pleasing (not as big and obtrusive)
    10. Backup option (important with complicated setups)
    11. Great website and forum (developer responds quickly) Go Launcher links to some random twitter account.
    12. Shows more icons in app drawer in landscape view

Hopefully Fede’s vision will elevate Launcherpro+ to new levels but a few minor additions to Go Launcher and I have the best of both worlds.

18. rudybow

rudybow Well-Known Member

Wow, Go Launcher is fast. I like it. :)

I need to find out more about widgets. I need a good one for weather, sports, news, and calendar.

19. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member

Tried both the launcher and the sms app. I liked the sms app, but they need a few more customization features before i commit to it over handcent.

And the launcher, all i really liked about it was the drawer settings being able to close processes and what not. but it seemed slower, alot slower and laggy compared to lpp. Maybe because my lpp was still running? but either way, they need dock image customization before i commit to that too.

20. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

Actually, I am waiting for the same thing. Until then I am using Pure calendar... there's also another free widget that's wonderful called Android Agenda Widget.

It's lpp. The same thing happened to me until I froze LPP.

21. jbhumph

jbhumph Android Enthusiast

Widgets are your friend :)

For weather I use Beautiful Widgets which is a combo of weather and clock.

Sports...I like SportsTap...easily accessible info that won't drain your battery (ESPN Scorecenter was a battery drainer for me in the past)

Not sure about the news and calendar...I like the Jorte calendar but still miss my LPP calendar as I feel it is THE best out there personally. The news widget used eariler in this thread looks nice though.

Hope this helps!

rudybow likes this.
  22. yawdapaah

yawdapaah Android Expert

23. soapinmouth

soapinmouth Android Enthusiast

24. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast

I uninstalled because is not compatible with app protector which I use to protect my email, texts, etc. if you hit the back button at the swype gesture screen you can get into the application. I also need more than five rows.

25. bigtex19

bigtex19 Android Enthusiast

are there any like how to guides for using a launcher. i am totally clueless on how to use them but i am bored with my stock set up and would like something different.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews