1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Recorded video playback broken

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by killersiafu, Jan 10, 2012.

1. killersiafu

killersiafu Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    The other day I went to record a video with the standard camcorder, but when I went to view the video I had just recorded in the stock video player app, an error popped up saying:

If I try opening it using MoboPlayer, I get:

Looking back through my media, it looks like all of my videos recorded before mid-late October work fine. All of the videos from late October to now, do not work.

I believe I rerooted my phone (photon torpedo method) after a Moto/Sprint update around that time (October 13th?).

Edit 1: I also noticed that none of the more recent videos (the ones that aren't working) are stored in my /mnt/sdcard/dcim/Camera directory. I'm not sure where they are... The ones that are working, are found in that directory.

Edit 2: I searched my phone and there are no mp4's created since before October. So clearly the Camcorder is not saving the videos, or at least not saving them correctly.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

2. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Have you tried the default player? If the video is recorded by the phone itself then the default video player should be able to play it.

Try download "quickpic" from market. Quick will enable you to see quickly all your pics and videos sorted by their folders. You can quickly find where your recorded videos are store and you can try to play it with quickpic.

Report your findings.

3. killersiafu

killersiafu Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    I've tried playing the videos in the default player as well as mobo player and vlc. I also can't find the actual files of the videos anywhere. The only way I can attempt to play them is right after they're recorded, I can click on the thumbnail and it will attempt to play. None of those players can play it, though.

I've also tried recording a video with QIK, but it wasn't even able to record the video.

I'm starting to think I'm going to need to do a factory reset. Time to start backing things up.

4. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Why don't you plug your phone into a PC and see if it will play it. But it helps to know where the videos are store hence I suggested quickpics to help you locate them.

5. killersiafu

killersiafu Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    I was going to try that but the video files don't exist anywhere on the phone. Even looking through mobo player, or qik video, it can't find any video files made after October.

I've also run a search in astro for '.mp4' and can't find the files that way either.

6. mjballs12

mjballs12 Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Hey what was your fix for this? I'm actually having this same problem with my Galaxy S3 on 4.3