• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recording a DVD

Theoretically, yes. You can convert them into mp4's and copy them to an SD card or your phone's internal storage. You will probably run into a few problems, however. The biggest will be the security/encryption on commercial DVD's to prevent copying.

You then need to decode and rip it to the new file format using the right codec compression and resolution for your screen.

People have had some success with Handbrake, but I'm not one of them.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, This afternoon I tried both pieces of software, neither of which could get past the anti copy feature!
Back to the drawing board?

Alan

Some DVD ripping software, including certain versions of Handbrake, don't include the necessary decryption function for ripping commercial CSS DRM protected DVDs. Handbrake on Linux, you usually have to install the required decryption library yourself separately. AFAIK the reason is the DMCA, which makes it a felony to distribute software that breaks DRM. Even though DVD encryption was cracked nearly 20 years ago and is only 40 bit strong, DMCA still applies.

Upvote 0
I've had some failures with Handbrake, although it's good when it works. DVDFab always works for me ripping DVDs & USB TV recordings to MP4. It's shareware but 20% off at the moment (still not that cheap though:(.)
You might want to rip and transcode your own blu-ray discs as well, especially if you want HD, which I don't think Handbrake can do. So you may need to use a commercial, paid solution instead.

Upvote 0
What's a "DVD"? Back in the old, old, olden days (before torrent sites) I vaguely remember ripping some optical disk thingies. :)
Those are those things were we don't have to post reminders saying that we have a zero tolerance policy on copyright protection every time someone advocates using movie torrents.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones